Friday, May 4, 2018

My Future Home

Vienna week!

So once again this post is coming a few weeks late. From what I can remember, Monday was fairly uneventful. It mainly consisted of procrastinating packing for our Vienna trip. Finally around 11 pm I started packing, and was done and in bed by 1 am. And then woke up again at 3 am to make the taxi that was coming to pick up me and Lauren. We met the rest of the group at the bus parking lot and bussed our way to the airport. A few hours later we were in Vienna, Austria! And it wasn't even 10 am yet! We made our way to the hotel, where Lauren, Emily and I passed out for a short nap before our day officially started. We then had a Medical City walk with Dr. Schnabel, a friend of Dr. Wasser's you'll have to meet. We then had lunch on our own, which turned out to be the best lunch of the trip. It took us forever to find a place because Lauren, Emily, Katie and I were all starving, so it was difficult to choose a restaurant. We finally decided on an Italian restaurant. Lauren and Emily convinced me to get gnocchi, something I had never heard of before. Turns out its the best ding dang thing you could eva eat. Its basically potatoes wrapped with noodles, doused in cheese. It was heaven on earth. Afterwards, we met back up with the group and toured Michaelerkirche and the catacombs. That was the first time I had ever been into a catacomb. There were a few mummies within, which was really cool to see. Its crazy how some mummified, and some didn't. Strangely, after seeing mummies and a bunch of bones, I still had an appetite for dinner. We ate at the Goulashmuseum (another thing I've never had-- goulash is also delicious) and then all went back to the hotel and passed out.

The next day we toured the Narrenturm, which is an old Madhouse Tower in Vienna. The museum is filled with wax models of diseases, which was the grossest and coolest thing. The Narrenturm was hands down one of my favorite museums out of the whole trip. The rest of the day was free-- we walked around Vienna and saw the library and palace.

Thursday we went to the Josephinum, which was another museum filled with wax models. But these were whole body wax models, beautifully laid out. We then ate lunch, and then wen to Freud's house. Dr. Wasser gave a lecture there-- one of my favorites. I knew just a few things about Freud before, but Dr. Wasser gave us an intense history. Freud was a strange man, but I admire his work and study. Being able to walk through his house put everything into perspective. That night, we met for a classical concert at a church-- I believe St. Anna. It was a small church, but intricately detailed and decorated. The music was beautiful (although the pews were probably the most uncomfortable church pews).

Friday began with horses-- we got to watch the Spanish Horse Riding School practice. I gave Mitchell a lesson on horses (whether he wanted it or not). We then had a quick tour of the Natural History Museum. I could've spent all day in the museum, but we had to meet back at the hotel to get our luggage and head to Budapest.

Later addition:
Vienna was honestly my favorite city out of all the cities I visited. The weather was beautiful, the buildings are beautiful and clean, the food is amazing, and there is so much to see and do. I wish I had been able to go to Austria again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment