Friday, May 4, 2018

Finals/ Last Weekend in Germany 😢

Wow, where has the time gone!!!?  It has finally set it in that I’m leaving Germany in a little over an week.  It kinda stinks that our last full week in Germany is taken up by finals and final projects, but I guess we are here to study, not just travel :/. Anyways, by the end of the week, I was so ready to be done with my terrible engineering classes. After submitting my BMEN 211 final on Thursday, a group of us went out to our favorite pub James Joyce and shared a few pitchers of a Guinness while we reminisced like old war grandparents about our time in Germany.  On Friday, the entire biosciences program took an excursion to Remagen, a small town just south of Bonn which is the site of the famous Remagen bridge.  As we learned on our tour, this bridge was the only Rhine bridge that failed to detonate in the final months of World War 2, thus allowing Allied troops to cross the river and shorten the war. After the tour, we had lunch and gelato out on the river before heading back to Bonn to get ready for the AIB goodbye party. That night, Corey and I went with Mandy, Wollie, Mindel, and her two friends Emma and Pia to the farewell party. It was quite possibly the most awkward party I’ve ever been to, after some delicious food and a few glasses of Gaffel Kölsch, it got a little better.  However, I’m pretty sure all the German host families at the party got fed up after about 10 minutes and left (Mandy and Wollie included). After the party, a few of us headed out to our favorite Tacos Bar, and then to N8, a club that I wanted to try before I left Bonn. 


On Saturday morning, Lauren, Madeline, Emily, and I decided to try out the Claudius Therme Baths and Sauna in Köln (an activity that Mr. Sauna fanatic himself, Dr. Wasser, recommended). As soon as we got there, I immediately realized we in no normal American bathhouse-  outside of the main pool area, we were the only ones with anything on our bodies!!  After about an hour of awkwardly walking around in our towels, we decided that we were over it and we would join the nude society. What can I say.... when in Germany, do as the Germans right? Although I saw way too many saggy boobs and hairy penises in the span of 4 hour, it was a very relaxing day-  I can see why it is so popular in Europe.  That night, we all took the train into downtown Cologne and ate at the Gaffel Kölsch brewery, where we had eaten at on our Cologne excursion some 3 months back. The Schnitzel with cream spinach was probably the best meal I’ve had in Germany this entire semester (Possibly even better than Mandy essen).  I got very sentimental walking past the beautiful Kölner Dom on our way back to the train station-  Goodbye Köln 😢

No comments:

Post a Comment