Friday, May 4, 2018

Week 9: “Tell ‘em Tony sent you”


Spring break!

First up: Barcelona, Spain
            Barcelona was amazing and warm! I could not believe I was able to walk around with no jacket for the first time since coming to Europe. Lawrence, Whitney and I discovered the city on foot and visited many parks and famous landmarks. We visited Park Güell, walked by the Sagrada Familia, and visited the Picasso Museum (which was free for students). Our last night, we headed to a tapas bar and drank sangria. It was a wonderful way to end our time in Barcelona. I loved Barcelona and the atmosphere of the city. I can’t wait to go back!

Next up: Italy

            Rome, Italy
Rome was breathtaking and wonderful. My diet consisted of pizza, pasta, and gelato (yes, I gained a couple of pounds…) There was so much to do and we had such little time. We got to see the Vatican museums and Sistine chapel, the Spanish steps, the Trevi fountain, the Coliseum, and so many great roman ruins. This is a city full of history and beautiful architecture. I would love to come back and bring my mom with me so we can visit the Vatican City together.
Also, Rome has the best gelato I tasted while in Europe (Old bridge gelato).

            Florence, Italy
Florence was a beautiful city and we enjoyed it very much. We visited the Galleria dell’ Academia where we marveled at the original David by Michelangelo. We also visited the Ufizzi Gallery were we saw a lot of famous and beautiful paintings. It was a very touristy area so it was harder to enjoy the city and how beautiful it truly was.

            Venice, Italy
Austin joined our small group in Venice the first day. Venice was beautiful at every turn you took. It was a maze that you could easily get lost in, which made it even more fun. Although it was super touristy and hard to get away from tourist traps, we enjoyed it and found some good food eventually. Walking by the water was my favorite part of the city. It was also very interesting to see that they set up platforms at St. Marco square for people to walk on when the city floods. On our last day, we went to the islands around Venice. We found the a restaurant with one of the best ravioli I have ever had and amazing gelato.

Spring break made me realize how extremely lucky and how unique this entire experience was.


-xoxo,
Claudia Mendoza

No comments:

Post a Comment