Friday, May 4, 2018

Part 10

Part 10
Now that spring break has come to an end, it is back to the grind. I returned back to Germany the Monday class started and it was an adventure. I missed my flix bus at the airport to get back to Bonn because the plane landed late. The next bus wasn't until later on which would cause me to miss class. I finally ended up a train back to Bonn a few hours later. I was not happy about paying the extra money though but you got to do what you got to do. Not too much went on school wise. We had out normal classes and enmodes session to work on our projects. Now that my understanding of the project as a whole has grown it has made me appreciate it a lot more. I think we make a great group and have ideas that the other groups don't. Just hope the enmodes guys think the same.

I was super pumped this week because we got to go to the Uniklinik. The BMEN kids went on Tuesday and the BIMS kids on Wednesday. When we first arrived it was very unorganized Because the lady that normally would assign us placed was not working that day. Shout out to Nick for stepping in and placing us where we needed to be. After getting dressed in our scrubs we still didn't have a place to go so we were awkwardly standing in the hall way until I asked someone who looked like a doctor if he could help. He helped some of our group go to watch a surgery but there was just entirely too many of us to all go inside of one or two operating rooms. So initially it seemed like I got the bad end of the stick because we didn't have anywhere to go so we had to go wait upstairs until there was something that opened up. Luckily a lady came and took the remaining 5 of us to the Women's department and neurosurgery section on the clinic. Of course I went to the Women's department in hopes to see a baby born or some form of surgery with the baby. I didn't get to see the delivery that morning because Dr. Monica ( chief of the women's department) took us to watch a breast reduction. I can't remember the doctors name who was performing the surgery or the anesthesiologist but they were both really nice and answered all me and Claudia's question. The surgeon gave us a brief background of his life and why he chose plastics. It was an amazing feeling to be in the room with such greatness. This was by far one of the best days of the program. Seen a few things to mention in pharmacology as well dealing with anesthesia. The next survey was liposuction and tummy tuck. We didn't get to see this surgery just the preparation and putting the patient under. I was very mad we had to go and couldn't go back because everyone we encountered there was so nice and willing to teach.

We also went to the Anesthesia Museum on Friday. It was interesting to see so much history in one place. All the advancements that have been made over the year are astonishing. We seen the drugs that what were once used and those still used today. The best part was seeing the iron lung. It is crazy to think that people lived in there for weeks at a time.

Fast forwarding to the weekend. It was wild. A few of us went out for drinks and went out later that to the club. We definitely all had to much to drink but nonetheless had a eventful night and made it home safely. Thank God for the good group people that I was with because we all made sure we were good. The hangover the next day sucked though. Cheers to another week in Bonn!

No comments:

Post a Comment