Saturday, May 5, 2018

BONN voyage

(alternate title: wifi in Croatia is sheiße and this post is making me cry)

Monday was great. Our program went on a Rhine cruise. The morning began with a bus ride to a small town. We had some time to wander around the town and eat. Madeline, Lauren and I stopped for breakfast at a small café. Madeline and I ordered ham and eggs. The eggs were basically raw, so it was a bit difficult to chow down haha. We hopped on the boat around noon and saw a few castles and other buildings as we drifted down the river. Dr. Wasser administered our History of Medicine final on the boat. Team Hufflepuff for the win! I had to pronounce the word löyly for points..I think the tie should be reconsidered. Anyways, the final was a lot of fun and quite competitive. After the cruise, we stopped for lunch at a German restaurant, and had one last schnitzel. We hiked up to Marksburg castle. The hike was fun, and our tour guide was interesting. Marksburg castle was never conquered and is now a museum and someone’s home. The view atop the castle was beautiful. I am not ready to leave the Rhineland.

On Tuesday, we had exit exit interviews and completed course evaluations. I don’t want to leave. That afternoon, a couple of us went to Hofgarten to hang out in the nice weather. I have made so many great friends through this program. I love Bonn. After a few hours, we went to the Haribo store and loaded up on gummies to give to friends and family. I went home to work on blogs and pack for my last trip of the semester to Croatia. I ran out of time and had not even started packing my two huge suitcases. When I get back to Bonn on the 9th, I’m going to have to throw my bags together quickly.

Wednesday morning was really sad. The bus ride to the Frankfurt airport was quiet. Lauren and I are spending a week in Croatia, so we tagged along with the AIB bus. It was surreal to part ways with everyone.

It’s hard to accept that the program is over. I can honestly say these past four months have been the best 4 months of my life. I have loved getting to know all of the people in our program. We’ve shared so many memories and experiences that I will never forget. I wish I could go back and relive these past months. I am so thankful for the opportunity to live in Germany, meet new friends, and travel the world. I want to write more, but I’ll just get more emotional. Thanks to Dr. Wasser, my host family, the ta’s, AIB staff, and everyone else who made this trip possible. I’ve had one hell of a time and will definitely return. Ich liebe Deutschland!

Danke für alles!
Auf Wiedersehen,
Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment