Sunday, May 6, 2018

15: Finals Week


Finals week consisted of my third Physiology exam, Physiology final, 485 booklet-building, and drafting our last paper for VIBS 311.  I attempted that third Phys exam after a rather terrible night train ride back from Lucerne and very minimal reviewing and did much better than expected. However, I nailed that final exam with a perfect score of 100% and tried to round up some buddies to celebrate. It was a great feeling knowing that my last major college exam was over and I got the highest possible score.  Graduation in 3 months!! Whoop!!! 

This week was round 2 of my ongoing, recurring eye issue.  I had to miss an excursion on Friday to go back to the eye doctor.  I’d hoped to see the same doc as last time, but sadly she wasn’t there and I saw a different woman. Katarina, one of the sweetest AIB student workers, and I waited for about 2 hours to see this doctor, only to have her say “I think you have dry eye.”  I do not have dry eye.  This very fast, false, frustrating diagnosis landed me in the ER Sunday afternoon with Nick and Dr Wasser because my eye was still getting worse.  It wasn’t necessarily an emergency, but even in America doctors don’t work on Sundays, and the other option was to miss the farewell cruise on the Rhine on Monday or go to the ER Tuesday instead.  Tuesday was May 1, a celebrated holiday in Germany.  So, Nick, Dr Wasser, and I spent about 4-5 hours in the ER waiting room to see an eye doc there.  Thankfully, she actually examined my eye and asked me questions about how it started and how it came back and whatnot.  She actually did her job. I felt awful pulling Nick and Dr Wasser away from their weekends, but I was about to leave for Italy for a week with my family and didn’t want to look like I’d gotten a giant, red, swollen bee sting on my eye.  Big thanks to those two for going with me and making sure I was listened to and that the doctor actually looked at my issue.  

On April 25, Brynn turned 21!!  It’s less of a milestone in Germany where even the youngest kids in our program were drinking, but Brynn got to enjoy the fact that she could continue being able to buy a bottle of wine in America once she gets back.  We sat outside in Fridenzplatz and had a nice, chill time.  

I’d hoped to play soccer with our program and some kids from Old AIB, but the one day when most people could play it ended up raining.  We went to the bar that night instead and reminisced on our time in Europe and how it flew by so fast.  We shared our favorite parts, the parts that drove us crazy, and our plans for the summer.  I enjoyed talking to some of the people I didn’t get to know very well on the trip and hear their perspectives on all the things we’ve been experiencing.  It was a really nice way to round out our Europe adventure.



**pics to come later when I have more time**

No comments:

Post a Comment