Sunday, May 6, 2018

OHHH it’s KARNEVAL!!


February 7-12
As usual, I’ve procrastinated getting prepared for Karneval... Wednesday, in between classes, I went out with Alwin and Joseph searching for some sort of costume that was relatively cheap, but also epic. We didn’t find anything, however later that night Emily and I had the great idea to bedazzle red overalls and wear some other bright colors underneath (accessorized with spunky glasses haha) I was up super late Wednesday night decorating and sewing sequins and ribbons into my red overalls to find out that the ribbons look ridiculous…  2 hours of sewing gone to waste, and I ripped them off. I woke up the next morning to my host mom and her little kids listening to fun Karneval music. At this point I really didn’t know what to expect out of karneval, but I got dressed and headed out to catch the bus. Soon to find, that my bus wasn’t running because people were preparing the street for the parade. I ended up meeting this super nice German guy by the bus stop dressed as a penguin. We walked together over the bridge since we were heading in the same direction. Once I arrived at the AIB, everyone was ready to leave for the parade. We walked back over the bridge to Beuel (where I had just come from lol). Once we got there everyone was dressed in their costumes and super exited to celebrate.  We were all ready to gather the random treats and candies that were being thrown down to us and enjoy the craziness of this holiday. After the parade had gone through, a big group of us headed to dance to the live Karneval music that was playing a little further down the road. After this Lauren, Emily, and Maddie were a bit hungry so we went to this burger place to get lunch with a few other people. We then walked back across the bridge, went to Rewe, and headed back to the AIB to chill for a couple hours before their math class later that night. I headed home, and shortly after I got messages to come hang out and party with another group of people.
The next day (Friday) was pretty chill, I woke up late and tried to write some blog post (but I didn’t haha). Instead, I met up with Alwin and Joseph in Bonn for falafel. We were going to go watch a movie but there wasn’t anything good out, so we just walked around Bonn for a couple hours. Later in the afternoon I met up with Alwin again, and we headed over to Kate’s house to meet up with Nicky, Corey, and Vijay. We ended up having a super good time hanging out. The next day (Saturday) alwin, vijay, and I met up with some Germans that we know for another parade in Buschdorf (this day got crazy) Alwin and I walked home later that night.
On Sunday I met Lauren, Maddie, and Emily at the Hbf and we headed to Cologne. We checked into our AirBnB (hosts were professional soccer players**) and then met up with Lauren’s cousin. We got lunch at a German restaurant, walked around cologne, and then headed to the parties. We woke up the next day to Rosenmontag, and we hit the parade. We ended up meeting some super cool Germans there and then headed to grab dinner before we went partying again. Tuesday morning came too soon, (but definitely needed -- partying for five days straight is tiring haha) and we had to catch the train back to Bonn for our classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment