Thursday, May 10, 2018

Walk the Moon + Bingen || April 6, 2018

On Monday night I went to my second concert of the semester, my first concert of the week. We went to Köln a little early and grabbed a drink and food at Sausalitos then headed off to the concert. We got there in time to catch only the last song of Flor's (the opener) set, which was kind of sad because I missed the one song I really wanted to hear. But all was well because there was more music to come. When we'd first arrived it seemed there was no hope of us even being able to see the stage, but since the ladies room happened to be up front and Shannon needed to go, we had the proper motivation to shove through the crowd and we ended up with a pretty good view. Walk the Moon put on a great show and even though I didn't know every song, I enjoyed it quite a bit. 

Highlights:
  • Flor's lead singer Zach was quirky and awkward and super adorable--I had to resist the urge to engulf him in a permanent hug
  • I'd forgotten that Walk the Moon sang Anna Sun but that may've been my favorite of the night 

After the concert we all managed to get a set list, and since I'd seen one of the one's for flor just sitting on the ground, I had both! Zach came out shortly after Walk the Moon ended so it was quite easy to get ourselves an autograph as well as a little chat with him. Walk the Moon, however, were a different story. We had to wait outside the venue, and wait and wait, even though most of the crew people packing up had told us it was unlikely they were going to come out. Izzie and I were ready to leave, but Shannon was adamant we stay. So we waited and passed the time chatting with/annoying the crew. Oh and there was this one guy that came over and tried to flirt with Shannon with his broken English. She wasn't really having it but it did lead to this quote which I found quite amusing:
Rando: So you are all from America?
Shannon: Yes
Rando (to me): Oh, you look like China.
How does one even respond to that?

But anyway, most of the band did eventually come out so we talked with all of them and got signatures as well. Then we headed off to the train station. There we ran into one of the girls we kind of met earlier on at the concert. It turned out Elena lived in Bonn as well, so I sat with her on the way back.

School started back up on Tuesday, except we didn't actually have class, we had an excursion to Bingen. There we learned about Hildegard, one of the most influential women in early medicine. They had a lot of small models of the building in different stages and if you can't tell by now I absolutely love buildings and bridges and models of buildings and anything architecture related so I was oohing and ahhing at them when Darby said she could see me being one of those grandmas with a little model village in my house when I'm older. The idea had never struck me but I am SO IN. 


There were also some really nice sketches and paintings in the museum towards the back that I really liked, but they weren't exactly what we were there to see and I think I'm one of very few people who actually looked at them. When we left the building we went out in the garden for scavenger hunt of sorts and a lesson on medicinal plants which I thought was fun. It did take quite a while though and poor Nick was stressing about being late for our lunch reservation and he was trying to rush Dr. Wasser along to no avail. After lunch we headed back to Bonn, had our evening math web stream, and got back into the swing of things school wise. I got another wave of homesickness over this week, but it was the last of the semester so all in all I think I did pretty well on that front.




No comments:

Post a Comment