Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Week 7: All Aboard the Karneval Konvoy

Starting with classes, we had our German final this week. I don’t think we ever actually get the grade back but it was really easy. I might have gotten a couple questions wrong but I am content with how well I think I did. We also had our first math exam and our first physiology exam. 
Alright. We made it to Karneval. After hearing all about it since before we even got to Germany, we finally made it. Well, to the first part of it anyway. It isn’t rosenmontag yet so I don’t know how that’s going to go. I have no plans to do anything but relax, hang out, and collect candy all day. I’m more excited to see how crazy Cologne gets with millions of people in costumes consuming copious cans of Kolsch. 

Anyway, AIB karneval was really fun. I’ve never been the one tossing candy as a part of the parade itself until Thursday but I can see how they manage to keep it up for the whole duration they are marching on for. One thing I am happy I decided to do was save my candy and only toss sparingly at the beginning. Some people ran out halfway through and were unable to give the excitedly screaming children anything but shrugged apologies and disappointment. I didn’t make it the whole time either but I lasted at least 80% through, which was pretty good. Also, the costumes we wore were just wonderful. When I first came to the new AIB building, I was expecting to be wearing just a sweatshirt and maybe a hat. But when Ryan and I showed up (a little late but oh well), we were greeted by a sea of neon orange and blue wigs. The whole costume was fairly simple, consisting of the sweatshirt, wig, and some balloons, but it was enough to make everyone look bizarre, in the best way. The parade itself was plenty of fun and I got to talk to my friends in the other AIB programs along with people in our program, as we all marched in the same group. It was a great time and I hope that future years get to participate too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment