Sunday, May 5, 2019

Finals Week, the Final Week (Week 16)

We started the week off with a relaxing bike ride to Remagen on Monday. It might be one of my favorite activities that we've done as a group. The weather was, thankfully, bright and sunny and the ride was the slowest-paced thing we've done all semester with everyone together. We rode to a museum within an old bridge that was destroyed during WWII. Here, we learned a bit more about the local history during that time period and about some conflicts since WWII. After the museum, we had a group lunch, our last one, before making our way back to Bonn. The rest of the week was mostly finals. We had our third physiology exam Tuesday and the physiology final Wednesday, which everyone did well on. The genetics final was Friday, and it was harder than any of us expected it to be, but I still feel like I did pretty well on it, like a high B. Tuesday and Wednesday I took a break from studying to watch the final Harry Potter movie and "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" with Astrid and Naja.

Saturday was the Rhinecruise for us and the Vis program. The weather wasn't that good early on, but the cruise was still nice and the scenery beautiful. We had our History of European Medicine final during the cruise, which was fun and went pretty well. After the cruise, we toured Nassau castle, which is the only castle in the Middle Rhine to have never been conquered. It was cool to see the different rooms, like the bedroom and kitchen, as well as the armor and torture devices on display in other areas of the castle. That evening, about half of our program, plus John from the Vis program, went to see the fireworks that were part of the Rhine in Flammen (Rhine in Flames) festival. They were much more impressive than I thought they would be and we all had a really great time hanging out, talking about our plans for the summer, and reminiscing on the last semester. It was pretty melancholic. A few of us went out afterwards because we didn't want the night to end just yet, which was kind of a reflection of my attitude about the semester itself.

Today, Sunday, was packing day, but I've been packed since Tuesday night. I wanted to go to Cologne and go to Claudius Therme, but didn't end up going since the store I wanted to go to in Cologne was closed. Since that was the case, I had a hard time justifying 16 euros for the tickets to Cologne to go to the spa, where I'd be spending 24 euros to use the spa and sauna for two hours. Instead, I used the morning to pack for my trip to Portugal. In the afternoon, the theater students from LMU had their performance of Spring Awakening, which I went to see with the others. Honestly, I didn't understand what was going on for a good portion of the play and definitely didn't enjoy the style of the play. But I can acknowledge that the students did an excellent job with their performances.

Once the play was over, most of us went to old AIB to kill time before the farewell party. The farewell party was a great time for pretty much everyone, although a few people left early to eat with their host families one last time. That was kind of a shame, since we got a group picture towards the end of the party. Most of our program ended up in the lounge downstairs to talk and hang out with just us one last time. Again, pretty melancholic. I had to say goodbye to a few people who were leaving really early tomorrow morning and to those who I wouldn't see again before I left with some of the others on my shuttle to Frankfurt. Tomorrow, I'll have to say goodbye to the ones on my shuttle and on the 14th, I'll say goodbye to Sid one last time in Frankfurt. It's weird to think about how we won't see each other every day come tomorrow. And, even though everyone except Madyson will still be in College Station, it won't be the same as it was here. I'll miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment