Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Full circle

I am currently writing this as I wait on the airport for my plane home. A little under four months ago I was on the other side of the world writing my very first blog post so I felt it was appropriate to write my last one the same way (full circle).

Since this week was all finals, there's not really much to say about it other than I KILLED IT (except for one) and all my studying was worth it. The last final I took was the History of Medicine that we took during a cruise, which was both weird and cool. All in all, I am very proud of my grades.

So now the sad part of this post: leaving. Throughout the entire week I tried my hardest to not think about leaving; I did not even start packing until last night because once I packed, it became real.
On Saturday, we had the cruise. It was a great way to end our class excursions because it was insanely beautiful and it was very relaxed (even the final). We went to the only castle still left standing the in middle Rheine, Marksburg, and realized how big of a part the Rheine played on the wars. That night there were Rheinaue fireworks so some friends and I went to see them and just had a really good time as a goodbye.
On Sunday we went to see the LMU play "Spring Awakening" which I thought was phenomenal, mostly because I have always enjoyed theatre and I had not seen a play in a very long time. Then we had the Farewell party at AIB which the rest of the programs. They had a lot of Kolsch, food, and music. I got to interact with a lot of my friends' host families and say goodbye to them. We gathered in the lounge of the school and talked and reminisced on the semester and one by one people started to leave. I was expecting to cry, but I think that all the feelings going through me were very confusing and weird so I said goodbye to everyone without really having the idea that I was not going to see them daily for 7 hours anymore. I got home, and just laid in bed thinking about everything and nothing until I fell asleep.
Monday, everyone had already left except for a couple people so a friend and I decided to go get breakfast and then go to a beautiful lake that I was recommended to go to. We stayed there for a couple hours, went back to Bonn and said our goodbyes. I went home and started finally packing. I don't think that it has ever taken me so long to pack, mostly because I did not want to. Thankfully my host family was not there so I jammed to music to hype myself up. I finished packing around 9pm and watched a movie until my host family got there so that I could say goodbye. I lived with these people for only four months, but they took such good care of me and really treated me as part of their family that I started believing I was. We took a lot of pictures, talked for a while, and then we went to sleep.
This morning I had to wake up at 4am to get to the airport on time. I ate my last breakfast, took my last shower, and turned off the lights for the last time.
Now I am at the airport, sad to leave the rightfully named city of Bonn, but also happy to be home and see my family and friends. The memories I made and the people I met will always be a part of me and I am infinitely thankful that I was on this program.





No comments:

Post a Comment