Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Easter Weekend

Easter Weekend
My first choice for blind booking wasn’t to go to Berlin but at the same time I didn’t want to make the price for a cheap blind booking expensive by cancelling out most destinations. So when the website said I was going to Berlin I was a little disappointed. However, I knew a few of my friends were going to Berlin so once we were going many others joined in a soon it was 8 of us all going to Berlin. So I booked a hostel with my good friend Melania for the weekend so we could travel all around Berlin together. When we got there our first thing we did was go to a free walking tour that started at Burbenburg Gate. After learning some history about the gate we passed Tear garden, the hunting grounds many years ago. We then walked over to the memorial for murdered Jews which was many blocks with different heights all together. We then walked over to some old apartment buildings where Hitler’s bunker was. After learning about that we walked over to see the second largest amount of Berlin wall. This area was filled with educational posters to help the views understand its significance. Very close to this was checkpoint Charlie, which used to be a division between the east and the west on the American territory. This was probably the most touristy thing in all of Berlin but was an important thing for me to see since I am American. After that we made our last stop at some churches. A French and German Church rights across from each other. The next day we went to Berlin’s botanical gardens which was huge. It took us over two hours to get through it. But I loved going there and getting to see some nature in a large city like Berlin. There where huge greenhouses that had so many different kinds of climates and plants. Before dinner that day I went to go see east side gallery, which is the largest amount of Berlin wall to see. There is murals from artists on them that usually have something to do with freedom. Overall Berlin was a blast and it made my top three cities I got to see while on study abroad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment