Sunday, May 5, 2019

The Final Days in Deutschland


I can’t believe I’ve made it. The last week in Germany. The week was an even mix of nice and completely terrible. On Monday we biked to Remagen, which is 22 km from Bonn. While this was supposed to be fun, I don’t really like biking so I did not have a good time, and had a couple low-speed collisions with inanimate objects. But once we got to Remagen it was cool. We went to a history museum there about the Remagen bridge, which was the first point that the American army crossed the Rhine in World War II. That evening I procrastinated studying by watching Game of Thrones. The next morning was our first physiology exam for the week. I didn’t think I’d done well on it, but I didn’t end up doing too bad, so I was happy. Our circuits final was a take-home test, and it was one of the hardest tests I’ve taken in college. If I’d had to take that test in class I would have failed because it took me more than ten hours to finish it. Thursday was my second test of the week in physiology, and it was pretty easy. I was finally done with my schoolwork, and I could enjoy the rest of my time in Bonn.

On Saturday we got up early so that we could go on a cruise for a bit down the Rhine. We stopped and saw a castle on a hill, which had a very nice view. I didn’t really enjoy the excursion all that much because there was a lot of travelling time for the amount of stuff we did. That night I went to a festival in the Rheinaue park in Bonn and watched the fireworks with a group of us. It was a very nice last night out in Bonn, although getting home from the festival was a bit challenging.

My last day in Bonn was a bit of a bittersweet day. We started the day by going to a play put on by one of the other AIB programs. It was very weird and I wasn’t a fan, although I can respect that the actors put in a lot of time and effort to make it happen. We had a farewell party that night with all of the programs on our soon-to-be old stomping grounds. One of the student worker’s bands was playing and there was lots of food and drink. I spent a lot of time talking and reflecting on the semester, and I had to say my goodbyes to people, which was hard. Although I had to work hard to get through this semester and there were points that were difficult, I had an amazing time in Germany. The people here are so great and friendly, for example Shaaheen who works at Uni-Burger who would always chat with us and would sometimes give us free fries.  It was awesome to be able to see so many new places, and I learned a lot about my abilities, limits, and priorities this semester. As I pack up my bags to come back home, I am happy with my time away from home, and the people that I got to spend that time with.

No comments:

Post a Comment