Wednesday, May 8, 2019

The Happiest, Sappiest Days of My Life

Here I am, sitting on another RyanAir flight as the rest of the program (save a few travelers) have officially all made it back to America.

A recount of the past week, our last week: finals were hard. It was a lot to take on at once, but that is every finals week. When Friday came, and our evaluations were in, Sebastian and I finished at the same time and he took me down to the kitchen to tell me some good news. I was so happy, I couldn't stop crying. Watching other people's lives come together reminds me so much of God's goodness, and it makes my heart joyful like nothing else can. 

We were given uniburger for free, which was great. After interviews were over, I went back to the dentist to fix a chip in my tooth on the last possible day I could (since insurance ended Sunday- although the the dentist told me the fix would not be charged as part of the guarantee, so maybe I didn't have to do it that day). I went back to AIB for a bit before going home to get ready for Shaker's that night. By this time, I had already cried three times. Once on the bus, as I realized it was one of the last times I would get to look out over the forest near my house. Then with Sebastian. Then on my walk to the dentist as I reminisced the semester. Then again and again. Little tears here and there.

After Shaker's, Adriana, Seb, Masha, Kevin and I went to buy things for the Rhinecruise the next day. Kevin, Seb and I went to McDonald's after, just us three again, and had a really honest and genuine conversation. I went to bed around 2:30 that night to wake up at 5:50 the next morning for the Rhinecruise.

Saturday- Happily Ever After

Unfortunately, Seb and Ryan didn't make it in time and we had to leave without them. Ana made it on the bus after waking up with 2 minutes to spare. I did my best to wake them up and give them all the information they needed to find us. 

The Rhinecruise was unbelievable. Germany is captivating. Even in the cold and windy weather, the fog settled on the hills were a beautiful sight. The History of Medicine final was fun even though they cheated Gryffindor out of winning, and once we docked and saw Ryan and Seb, we went to lunch and I had my first Schnitzel. We hiked to the Bacharach castle and overlooked the river. After the tour, we went back to Bonn and I used the bus ride to take a much needed nap. I was exhausted all day but didn't want to stop looking out at the landscape.

We decided to go to the very convenient event, Rhein in Flammen, that night. I called my host mom and sister to ask for tips and gave the plans to everyone in the program. We chilled in the Biergarten, then went for Italian food and to Zebulon until hopping on the very packed tram into Rheinaue.

Only Ryan B had data, and I was very stressed while trying to make sure everyone could find each other before the fireworks started. Somehow, though, it all fell into place perfectly. Even John from Viz found us. The fireworks began at the perfect time and I was so overwhelmed with good feelings that I cried again. Harder this time than the rest. I remembered my family as I looked at the sky- and our beloved Fourth of July tradition, shooting fireworks over the lake. I missed them. I remembered my happiness and excitement to come to Europe. I remembered my struggles through the semester. I thought again of what a dream it was that it all came together as it did. I cried because of it all, and because I was surrounded with people feeling the same way. It was such pure bliss. 


As we hugged and shouted which fireworks were our favorite, I had the thought that this was the happiest day of my life.

The fireworks fell into the water and the only light was the neon from the carnival rides below us. We group hugged and exclaimed our love for each other and we rolled down the hills until we decided it was time to go, and then we walked all the way to museumsmeile-with many bathroom breaks along the way- until we all made it home.

Sunday- 

I did not expect to cry at the farewell party. There would be too many people around. Too many strangers. Too many friends that could see my face as I cried. It wasn't dark out. I don't tend to cry in these conditions.

And I didn't for a while. As we all said goodbye in the lounge, I was very quiet. Sad, but stressed, and just taking it in as people around me told each other what they felt. I said goodbye to each person as they walked out one by one. And I didn't cry.

But then Jessica hugged me and told me I would do great things. And that was it. That's all I needed. I cried and hugged her back and then Ryan Frampton was next, that sweet boy. As he held me, I cried harder, remembering all the times he gave me comfort this semester when I was feeling incapable. And that was the first time I sobbed. 

We went out for ice cream and Ana and I went home with Park as he poured his heart out about this semester and said goodbye to us and our bus for the last time. I fell asleep immediately and went with Ana the next morning to help her with her bags and say goodbye to the rest.

Monday- 

After saying goodbye, Kevin and I had breakfast and went to the lake; a hidden gem that Sebastian found earlier that week. It was beautiful- I just wish it were warm enough to get in. Finally, we went home, and my host mom and sister and I went to Hans im Gluck for my last meal in Germany. Coincidentally, it was my first meal in Germany, too. I loved that.

No comments:

Post a Comment