Monday, May 6, 2019

week 14- did I finish the project or did the project finish ME?

            This week hit me like a brick wall J. It was enmodes week, where we were going to be presenting the design projects we had been working on all semester. From the beginning, I knew that this was going to be a very stressful week, but my team worked very diligently all semester to make sure we would be able to get thorough the week with minimal hiccups. On Tuesday and Wednesday, we had the entire days of our schedules blocked out to exclusively work on our projects. 
On Tuesday, we got to school at 10 am and made some revisions to our presentations using the feedback that we got from enmodes engineers last week. Each team was limited to a 10-minute, 10-slide powerpoint; my team’s was preparing to pitch a solution for how to improve patient mobility in ECMO patients. In the afternoon, the groups began their preliminary presentations. This was an opportunity for the groups to get 1-on-1 feedback on their slides and get tips on how to best communicate the material. 
 When the first group was in the presentation room for two and a half hours, we knew that this work day was not a joke. My group went second- we were prepared to get roasted, but we were only in the presentation room for forty five minutes. We only seemed to have to make a few minor revisions, so our outlook was promising. All of the groups stayed at school until all three groups were able to get feedback on their presentations, so we didn’t leave school around 11 pm. Although it was late, we got pizza, so ~can’t complain~. 
            Wednesday was a very long and frustrating day. My group got more feedback on our revised powerpoint, but we then had to make unexpected changes to an integral part of our design. It was very stressful because we had less than 24 hours before the final presentations, but we overcame. That night, I took genetics test, which was pretty nerve-wrecking on top of enmodes presentations, but it went well and it was also nice to switch gears from presentations for a bit. By 1 am, I had spent 16 hours at school and I was ready to go home and get some sleep. I did not feel like waiting for the hourly night bus since it was so late, so I took a cab home (because I’m worth it).
            The next morning, we woke up early and drove to Aachen to give our final presentations to enmodes! I was very nervous, but fortunately it ended up being a lot more chill than I originally anticipated. My group pitched our idea first, which was a little daunting, but I was very happy, and more importantly proud of our team members and all the work we put in throughout the course of the semester. We got positive reinforcement and good feedback from the engineers, so we left the presentation feeling confident. We celebrated with champagne for a job well done.
            When we got back to Bonn, I was very excited to have a chill night and prepare to go to BERLIN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment