Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Boolin in Berlin, Performing in Prague, Dreaming in Dresden


Week 14-15
Easter Break: A Blind Booking Gone Right

               It was our last opportunity for a big trip. Adriana, Lindsay and I had booked a blind booking through Eurowings for Easter- and when we got Berlin I was bummed at first. That was one of the first places I went this semester. However, when Lindsay suggest I travel somewhere close to Berlin, I realized this was my chance to see Prague and Dresden; two places I had been wanting to go all semester.

               I initially planned to do it all myself, but Marcus also didn’t want to spend four days in Berlin, so he decided to come with me to Dresden on Sunday. I was going to land in Berlin on Friday afternoon, take a bus to Prague from Berlin at 4 am Saturday, leave Prague for Dresden hostel Saturday night, and leave Dresden for Berlin on Sunday night. My flight back to Cologne would land at 16:30 Monday afternoon.

Friday
               After Lindsay, Adriana and I landed, we took the bus into Berlin from the Tegel airport. While we waited for the bus to leave, Adriana and I spotted a German sports team FULL of attractive males. They spotted us eyeing them and all looked in our direction until a huge bus pulled up and blocked our view. Once the bus left however, we caught a glimpse of them again- still smiling and waving at us. Berlin welcomed us nicely. After waving goodbye and flipping my hair, I told Adriana we needed to research all sporting events taking place in Berlin that weekend.
\
               We got a bit lost on the way to the hostel, (thanks to me) and had to go on a scavenger hunt for the right tram. Last time I was in Berlin, our group was able to bypass buying a single tram ticket for the entire weekend. So, of course, I assumed Berlin was safe from that one occurrence. However, when Adriana and I got two stops away from the station, a guy dressed in civilian clothes asked us if we had any tickets. I played dumb and acted like we couldn’t find where to buy tickets, and that we had just flown in from America (we still had all our bags from the airport). He took our passports and luckily didn’t flip to our German visas, and though he was supposed to give us each a 60 euro fine, he waited until his partner was out of sight to let us pay for the tram ticket. (The others were not so lucky later on)

               Adriana and I went to the hostel and I got some Vietnamese food as she worked on her essay. Afterward, I wanted to take her to the delicious Korean restaurant we found last time. We took the tram there and walked around afterward for a while before going to the hostel. From the airport, to getting lost, to being in the hostel, to being at dinner, and just spending hours with each other, we talked quite a bit. I really enjoy talking to Adriana. I hope we stay friends.
               We met the others at the hotel to socialize a bit before going back home. I slept for about an hour and a half with Adriana until I had to wake up at 3:20 to make it to my bus. The walk was just a tiny bit scary, but not terrible. I slept as much as I could until I woke up to the sunrise in the Czech Republic.
 
Saturday
               All I had was my backpack as I stepped off the bus in Prague at 9 AM. I found the tram station to the site where my free walking tour was supposed to start, and headed to a McDonald’s to brush my teeth, wash my face, and change. I felt a little bit homeless, but I guess that’s the life of a traveler.

               The walking tour lasted three hours. It was alright, but I wouldn’t do it again. I mostly liked it because of the super hot Colombian family that was also on the tour. Unfortunately, it was the Sabbath and Passover, so I didn’t get to see the Jewish Quarter like I wished. When the tour ended, I went to see the castle and stumbled upon an art festival with live music.
               As I was painting some Easter eggs, I was singing along to the song, and one of the festival workers said I should go sing. So I did! I was UNBELIEVABLY nervous and shaky, but I sang in a crowd in Prague just to say I did it. The crowd sang along to Wonderwall and it calmed my nerves a bit.

               Toward the end of the day, I had a phone interview in Starbucks with the Biomedical Engineering Society, and I was informed that I received the role of Director of Freshman Relations. The call lasted 40 minutes, and when I was finished I headed to the Letna Biergarten to watch the sun set over the city.
               I just barely caught my bus to Dresden after running to the Old Market for some traditional Czech Easter egg souvenirs and a kebab. I got to Dresden around 12:30 and took a shower with some hand soap.

Sunday
               I woke up and started to check out of the room and get ready for the day while I waited for Marcus to find my hostel. Perhaps because of the holiday, Dresden was very quiet. I asked the hostel worker to give me tips on what to do, and we walked around the New City and Old City. Thankfully, the weather was phenomenal, so there wasn’t much we needed to have a nice time. After seeing some cathedrals, fountains, and parks, we got ice cream and went up to a local treasure, the Lingner Schloss.
               We stayed at the castle to have a beer and watch the sun go down, followed by some great Indian food for dinner before catching the bus to Berlin. It was definitely one of the calmest trips I’ve been on this semester, and I was thankful to have company to do what I had planned to do alone.
               I got to Lindsay’s hotel around 1:30 and slept on the floor- which was more comfortable than you’d think.

No comments:

Post a Comment