Thursday, May 2, 2019

Week 12: Big Event and Bonn Marathon

The school week was pretty normal. 🍎

Saturday (4/6): Big Event in Bonn 

Similar to the Big Event in College Station, AIB put on an International Big Event. I enjoyed this because it gave us the opportunity to give back to Bonn. :) My group went to a kindergarten. There, we replaced the sand in the sandbox for the kids. During a break, I got interviewed by someone from the local newspaper. The adults in charge of the kindergarten were so kind and welcoming -- they fed us German food and were so happy that we were there.

My group and I in the local newspaper!

Sunday (4/7):  The day I ran more than I have in 5+ years

Background info: At the beginning of the semester, AIB encouraged us to participate in the Bonn Marathon. More specifically, the marathon was a way for AIB to raise money for Marol Academy in South Sudan. I immediately liked the idea and wanted to run in a relay. :) My exact thoughts were: running in a marathon in Germany? How cool! I have plenty of time to get in shape! 2 of these 3 things were correct. It was absolutely INSANE how quickly the semester went by and how little time I found to actually work out. I know, I could have been more dedicated to running, but I was busy with so many other things. However, I did run a few times before the race. 😋

I was the first leg in the relay, and I ran 5.5 miles. During the run, I regretted not knowing what this was in kilometers! (The markers were all in kilometers.) I ran almost the entire way except for a few 1-minute breaks. I was proud :) This showed me that I can run longer than what I believe when I start to pick up running after a while. Overall, the marathon was really fun and a super cool experience during my study abroad!

Go us :)


No comments:

Post a Comment