Monday, May 6, 2019

Remagen and the Final Stretch


On Monday of finals week we got a real treat. We got to go biking!!! It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining but the air was cool. In short, it was perfect for biking. After picking up our bikes and helmets, we began our group ride to Remagen. We biked along the Rhine and the water glistened with the rays of the sun. The forest we biked through were a vibrant green and we even saw a bunny bouncing across the grass. We could not take pictures for safety reasons but it was so beautiful!!! Every mile that passed (it was a 12 mile ride to Remagen) was breath taking. However, about halfway through my butt was sore. I have not ridden a bike in the past six months and by the time we reached Remagen I was so excited to stand.

At Remagen we received a tour from an excellent guide about the history of the Ludendorff bridge. At the end of World War II the Ludendorff bridge was the only bridge remaining on the Rhine. The rest of the bridges had been destroyed and it was the German military's plan to destroy it as well to stop the Allied invasion of Germany. However, when the Germans tried to blow it up the bridge flew into the air and fell back into place. A miracle. The Allies then used this bridge and other bridges made out of pontoon boats to transport troops and tanks over it. We also got an exclusive tour of the museum (the museum was actually closed). There we saw many pictures of the history of the bridge. These included the German "frog men" (scuba divers) who tried to put explosives on the bridge but were caught by nets and pictures of the Allied forces pontoon bridges. We also visited the Nobel Prize room and the war room. In the war room it has panels of all the war that have occurred in the world since World War II and a plaque that states the deaths of soldiers and civilians during World War. At least two to three million of the civilians who died in Poland were Jews. I hope they will not have to add more panels or plaques to that room.



We then had a wonderful lunch at an Italian restaurant complete with delicious Gelato. I then made the decision to bike back with Dr. Wasser along with five others. It was beautiful! I do not regret it but my body was definitely sore for at least two days afterwards.



The rest of the week was filled with studying and completing projects. On Friday we were finished!! Victory!!



On Saturday, I went to church, youth worship service, a walk, and youth group. On the walk I saw and got to swing on my first "birds nest swing." It is sooo fun!! I haven't been on a swing in so long and this swing is so comfortable! Especially when your friends push you! The Adventist church in Bonn has been extremely kind and welcoming to me and I am really going to miss them. 




On Sunday, we had our farewell party and where I hugged many study abroad buddies and teachers good bye. It was so crazy and sad to think our time together in Germany was actually coming to a close. My heart squeezed a bit as a I hugged each of my friends and walked out of the Old AIB. I stopped to take a picture of the building that held so many memories for me and was a place that I built beautiful friendships. This morning I said goodbye to my host family and almost started crying. They are amazing and I am really going to miss them. I am sure I will do more crying on my flight to the US when it fully sinks in that I am really leaving. Yet, I am happy. Why? Whinnie the Pooh says it best. "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

No comments:

Post a Comment