Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Week 11: A Palace Picnic and Missing Train Ticket

France. What a time. Definitely a memorable excursion. The picnic at the Versailles palace is for sure one of my favorite moments of the whole semester. I remember looking at the picnic spread and thinking “there is no possible way this can feed all of us. Where should I go for food after this?” Man, was I wrong. We ended up barely finishing most of the food after very focused and determined attempts at it. That baguette was so much bigger than it seemed at first glance. I do have to say though, a whole baguette is not the best as a sandwich bread. The crust is just too chewy and your jaw hurts after a while. At the end of the picnic, we realized that today was pullout day and had an impromptu pull out day of our own. As fun as it would have been to do that on campus, being able to do it in the palace of Versailles garden is a pretty sweet alternative. All in all, the relaxing and fun time we had at the palace is, and I expect will stay, in my top 5 experiences this semester. 

Midway through the trip, I lost my train tickets but I didn’t have a chance to ask Wasser or any TAs about it until after I realized it was really and truly lost and not just in a pocket I hadn’t checked yet. Before then, I needed to get on through the train station and get to the Creperie. And Wasser/ Julian were in a rush (as per usual). We start filing into the train and I start fumbling through my pocket with the one-use tickets. I thought I had one more but it seems that I didn’t any more. So I was in deep trouble. The group kept moving without me and I had no way to get through. I tried crawling under the arms of the turnstile but just ended up getting hit in the head by the security door after it. So, I was stuck. 


Thankfully, Sebastian came in to save the day. He’d waited behind with me and saw how I was struggling. We came up with the idea for him to start walking through the exit door, let it half open, and then retreat as I ran through. It barely worked, with the door closing on me on entry but allowing me to squirm past. After that, Seb and I had to run to catch up with everyone. Even today I am not doing too well with my cough and running is really hard. Not that it’s physically difficult but it causes the congestion to build up and close up my throat, making breathing hard. Nevertheless, I had no choice. We ran until we got to the yellow platform. There was a train already there and we though that maybe they got on already. We had seconds to decide when suddenly, turning the corner in the distance, I see something. A bright blue jacket. Ryan B’s bright blue jacket. I tell Seb and we run to catch up with them. It was downhill but it was still difficult for me. We finally caught up with them and I am so happy I was carrying my water with me because I just started coughing my lungs out as soon as we got in the train. I was coughing hard enough that I would be confused when I realized that I had given my water bottle to Reagan half way through my fit of coughing. Eventually it subsided, I drank water, and we got to the Creperie. Pretty good crepes.

No comments:

Post a Comment