Friday, May 3, 2019

Week 13- Runnnnin

Are you familiar with that feeling when something is approaching you, and there's not quite much you can do? Whether prepared or not, scared or not, confident or not...it is steadily approaching? Well, this was a prevalent feeling this week- more or less a reoccurring thought- "The marathon I signed up for is this week."

You see, I had always wanted to run a marathon. I think it's a neat goal to accomplish since it requires a lot of mental and physical stamina.  I knew I wanted to do it here in Europe as well. However, due unforeseen (and some foreseen) circumstances, I did not get to prepare as much as I had hoped.

For example, I spent a week in Thailand and France. During these weeks, I did not have much time tp run; keep in mind that preparing for these distances requires at least a couple of hours at a time. Additionally, after my weeklong sickness, I took antibiotic medication Levofloxacin which, as everyone knows, is known to cause tendon rupture when combined with moderate exercise.

These are not excuses, rather, a sharing of my thought process and reasoning for my feelings this week. Interestingly, I had absolutely no desire of backing out of my commitment. Part of the reason lies in the fact that some individuals around me on this program strongly discouraged my decision to run the marathon. They made their opinion very clear- that I was being naive and foolishly ambitious.

So, the week progressed. We learned a lot this week in school. We were learning muscle physiology which is amazing. How intracellular calcium release triggers the conformational change in Tropomyosin, thus allowing cross-bridge cycling? Pretty cool if you ask me.

Fast forward to Sunday and the marathon. I saw my colleagues Josh and Younjun running their half-marathon and it hyped me up. I subsequently ran my race and it was a great experience. Seeing my friends cheer me on at the end of the race was very motivating.

Below is a picture because...well, pics or it didn't happen:


No comments:

Post a Comment