Monday, May 6, 2019

Auf Wiedersehen Deutschland!


The end is here; it’s our last week in Germany. I was ready to stay or go home but as the week went on, I couldn’t help but get very excited to go home after 4 long months. We had finals this week and I can’t believe how well I did! I did put in effort to study differently but I was still surprised but thankful for a great end to the semester. I tried to get all my souvenir shopping done but with the busy week it was difficult and I missed the Haribo store. We also had the Rhein cruise this Saturday and the farewell party Sunday. The castle we went to was well kept and had an amazing tour alongside it. Since we had such a busy week, I got sick for the last time Saturday. I still had a cough from 3 weeks prior and it flared up right before we left. I spent the time sleeping to not be in too much pain on the plane and it worked! I’m on the plane now and thankfully am doing ok. But this meant I had to miss the play the LMU kids put on which they worked so hard at. The party was bitter sweet. Saying goodbye to everyone for the foreseeable future, as I am graduating and moving away from College Station, was extremely hard and I don’t think it has set in yet. I feel like I’ll just see them tomorrow like always. But just like Germany, I know I’ll see them again. The bonds I made aren’t like other friendships and I want to value them stateside too.

I’ve loved Germany so much but I also have so much to look forward to when I get home. I get to see my cats, my family, my friends, and my new nephew who was born May 1. I’m now an aunt and I cannot wait to meet him! I’m also looking forward to driving my car, playing games, and getting Whataburger. Although I’m here on the plane writing all the things I’m looking forward to, during the week all I could think about was everything I was going to miss. Over half the program went to watch the fireworks Saturday night and we couldn’t stop reminiscing. I was going to miss pretty much everything about the program, even the double blocked physiology classes, because everything made the program special. But most of all, I was going to miss the people. I made so many friends and memories on this trip, it’s going to be different when I go back to the states and life returns to….normal. The friends I made were people I wouldn’t have typically talked to back stateside but I’m so so grateful for this opportunity since it made me be more open. I thought I was open-minded but only open to some people. Getting me out of my comfort zone, the program taught me so much. More than I understand yet too, I think. I made one of the best friends of my life even though there’s a lot of big beliefs we differ on. I love her and can’t wait to see what amazing things she does.

My time here has come to an end. I’m ready to start the next chapter of my life but will always love this one. The emotions I’m feeling are so complex, I hope to have some figured out by the time we have to do the prospective post. Although I expect to find ways I’ve changed well after the time of the prospective post. So, Tschuss for now, I’ll see y’all later.




No comments:

Post a Comment