Thursday, May 19, 2016

Week 17

So after the hell that was finals week, we had the whole weekend plus a few days to relax and spend time together before heading back home to the states! I spent most of Saturday sleeping and recovering from finals and then on Sunday, I spent the entire day with my host mom! She took me to the Arp Museum in Remagen, where we saw a lot of interesting exhibits on modern and contemporary art. My favorite exhibit was called Menschenskinder, which was donated by UNICEF. The exhibit was a collection of works, from photographs to paintings, from different artists depicting childhood experiences from different times, Middle Ages to present day, and in different countries around the world. The entrance to the museum was built into Rolandseck Bahnhof, with a tunnel leading to the exhibition part of the museum. This part of the museum was gorgeous, very modern and sleek and completely opposite from the uncut trees and shrubbery surrounding it.
The museum is also right on the Rhine and we had lunch in the museum on a balcony with a beautiful view of the river. My host mom told me more about her hometown Bad Honnef, which was right across the Rhine from the museum, and her life growing up. It was so lovely getting to talk to her and get to know more about her and I'm so glad I got to spend this day with her!

The next day, all the AIB students went on a Rhine cruise, which was a lot of fun. The scenery was beautiful and the weather was perfect! It made me wish I had gone hiking more and taken more walks along the Rhine in Bonn. The boat stopped in Braubach, where we had lunch, and then we hiked up to Marksburg Castle. Later that night, a few of us went to a Lumineers concert in Cologne. They were absolutely amazing and it was such a good way to spend one of our last nights in here in Germany! After we got back to Bonn that night, we went to the Quiet Man where a magician approached us and asked if he could show us a magic trick. We were like "sure why not" and he had us shouting in disbelief and amazement by the end of it! We had him show us a couple more and he blew our minds each time. Definitely a fun and unforgettable experience.  

On Tuesday, I did a lot of souvenir shopping and had a wonderful dinner with my host mom and host brother. That night, some of us went out for a last night out in Bonn, which probably wasn't the best idea for me since I hadn't even packed half of my stuff at this point. But even though I didn't get back until 3am, still had the rest of my stuff left to frantically pack (more like throw/stuff into my suitcase) before a taxi came to pick me up at 4:40am, and didn't get any sleep at all that night, it was such a good way to end my time here in Bonn! I couldn't believe my time here had come to an end. It didn't truly hit me that I was actually leaving this place that I had called home for so many months until I was on the bus to the Frankfurt airport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment