Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A Break From Travel - Two Weeks in Bonn

Goodness, where to begin?  The last month of school was a whirlwind—mixed with twinges of regret and bursts of excitement.  I believe the last time I talked was around Easter time, so I would like to resume documenting my study abroad adventures discussing the key points of the following week. 

Although we had Monday off thanks to Easter break, somehow students managed to turn this gift of scheduling into a problem due to a Signals and Systems quiz on Tuesday.  Instead of taking responsibility for the simplified work we have been given both in amount and difficulty, it was common throughout the semester for students to complain that they did not have enough time to complete tasks or that assignments were too hard.  Perhaps I did this at times as well, so I can't completely count myself out, though I tried very hard to not partake in this habit.  If we were back in College Station with well-known and highly esteemed professors, would students try to minimize the professors’ agenda to fit their lifestyle?  Probably not.  It should not have been any different here. But, alas, I digress.  The quiz was manageable despite the apprehensions and we completed our other classes that week as usual, ending the week with the Museum of Anesthesia.  Of all the museums we traveled to, this was one of my favorites.  I realized after the many museums this trip exposed up to, that I preferred museums that demonstrate technique and development more than those which discuss people.  I felt like the Museum of Anesthesia was applicable to us as young medical professionals as well as aspiring engineers, as it showed the progression of machinery while Dr. Wasser and Dr. Fajt taught us the scientific reasoning for why such changes occurred.  It was also very convenient to travel to.

Saturday was a rewarding, long and very BIG day!  Why?  International Big Event at AIB!  I will say, I think it’s pretty cool that Penn State and LMU students were able to join us as we spread throughout Bonn to serve.  My group went to a retirement village to remove weeds and other unwanted brush from several garden areas, so that elderly people could easily observe and enjoy a lively landscape during summer.  I love being able use my hands to help other people—especially in cases like these when their hands and bodies are too weak.  So we got down in the dirt and worked for about five and a half hours (with a delicious German lunch on the patio about midway through) and then said goodbye to the cute, old German gardener ladies, who were very pleased with our work.  While I felt like my role in Big Event was useful, others did not agree.  Both in College Station and Bonn, an issue with Big Event is ensure that the students’ work is not only legitimately helpful but also efficiently executed.  Wherever Big Event is held, the leaders for the day should really search for individuals and companies that need and would greatly benefit from our help.  Further, they should double check to make sure the service task is being done most efficiently.  For example, why allow individuals to work for hours on a task that could be easier accomplished in minutes with the right tools?  Then each group could potentially complete many of the proposed service projects and we could truly make a difference in the area instead of simply saying we gave up our time because it’s the thing to do on Big Event day.  Anyway, that’s enough of that.  On to the next week!

Main program events for the next week included a Bioethics talk, a brief trip to Bingen, and (optionally) the Bonn Marathon.

Thoughts:

Bioethics talk would have been better if the speaker informed us of both sides of modern ethical dilemmas.  I.e., what are the arguments for and against genetic modification in babies?  What groups/people are for extreme modification?  Only modification for disease prevention?  None at all?  These are the facts we need to know if we are to make informed decisions that shape the future of medicine and ethics.  We have been told we will need to be the leaders for this rising controversial topic.  Those with experience and knowledge should start to tell us how.

The trip to Bingen was not entirely necessary in my mind.  I would have enjoyed learning more about what the plants of the garden were believed to do and what they actually do than spend a great deal of time discussing Hildegard, who can be thoroughly discussing in a lecture alone.


Sadly, though I was not able to run in the Bonn Marathon, I ran my own relay in the morning as the sun rose and just asked everyone else how they did and how it was later lol.  This relaxing and healthy weekend was a great set up for the week ahead—FRANCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment