Sunday, May 15, 2016

Week 12: Museum of Anesthesia & Big Event

This week I’m pretty sure we had our second physiology test and a pharmacology quiz. I was dumb and didn’t study at all over Easter weekend so there was a lot of cramming/stressing out. But the second physiology exam definitely went better than the first so that was good!

That Friday we also visited the Horst-Stoekel Museum of Anesthesia in Bonn. Dr. Wasser gave us a tour of the museum, discussing the development of anesthesia, from ether and chloroform drops to modern anesthetics. There were glass cases displaying all sorts of machines and contraptions used in anesthesia.There was also a really cool model of an operating room how it would’ve looked back in the 30s, with many original pieces from back then. And there was an iron lung, which looked terrifying. I can’t believe people spent decades in these machines!

This weekend I stayed in town for Big Event! It was really nice having a piece from home brought to Bonn. That morning I was running late as usual and missed the send off at the old AIB, but I made it just in time right before my group left! My group and I helped out at a clothing donation center for refugees. We unpacked donated clothes, sorted them by type, size and gender, and then placed the sorted clothes onto their proper shelves. We also got to know some of the Penn State and LMU students a little better too! Overall, it was so wonderful being able to give back in any way that I could to Bonn, a city that I had grown to love and call home these past few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment