Monday, May 9, 2016

Take Me Back

I haven't even been back home for a week and I'm already looking forward to going back. As soon as we got off the plane in Dallas, last week, we all were saying how much we missed Germany already.
Also, as soon as we got off the plane we could immediately sense the change in culture. 

It was strange being able to understand people talking around us. Those of us who had connecting flights got a little bit more time to talk together. We had no idea when all the others disappeared, but it was understandable they left quickly because Dallas was their final destination. Those remaining, we talked about how it wasn't rude to eavesdrop in Germany because we couldn't understand what they were saying. 

I kind of miss that. Listening in on other people's conversations, trying to recognize any German words that I could. I miss taking public transportation to school in the morning. I miss my host family's pugs. I miss getting to travel to a new place each weekend and being able to plan a trip without my parents' help. Although, I am glad that I get to be home and just take naps with my doggies and binge watch Grey's Anatomy with my mom. 

If you are ever considering studying abroad, just do it. If money is an issue, consider that schools commonly give scholarships to their students who want to study abroad. Everyone in this program received a scholarship to help get them to Germany. 

Before this trip people said that it would change your life. I thought, ehh, I don't know if that's true.  I am still the same person after this experience, but now I look at things differently. I never thought that I was the type of American that thought the US did things best, but I realized I was. Just after a few days in Germany I could see that they were much more environmentally friendly: they separated trash, reused grocery bags, and along with the rest of Europe, they had accessible public transportation. I knew we, the US, didn't do everything the best before, but now I can see just how much further we have to grow and change as a nation. 

I did not expect my post to go in that direction. But, long story short, I miss Germany and Europe and I love what this experience did to mold me as a world citizen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment