Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Study, Soccer, Science

This week was a bit bland when compared to the previous ones with amazing trips, but we had our big physiology test weighing on us. That involved a ton of studying, about which I won’t go into much detail. Other than that, two fantastic things occurred this past week.

1. WE BOUGHT A SOCCER BALL. It was long overdue. Now, we can annoy the AIB and its neighbors by playing in the courtyard, hitting cars, doors and windows. But really, it is fantastic. We needed a little pick-me-up, and the Ping-Pong table wasn’t quite cutting it. You can’t ask for a better study break! (except Frisbee, but that’s hard to play in such a small area). I’m so excited to play again, especially here. Hopefully, we’ll get a real match arranged soon, too.

2. WE OBSERVED SURGERY. Whoa. This was my favorite part of the trip so far, honestly. I’ve seen medical procedures before, but this was much better. We were each paired with anesthesiologists (side note: I spelled that correctly on the first try!) at the Bonn Hospital (??), and followed them in the OR. My doctor, (NAME), and the team of surgeons were so kind, involving and encouraging, which might be the reason for why it had such an impression on me. The lead surgeon would quiz me on anatomy as she worked on the patient; I failed. The patient was suffering from PVD, and the team worked to remove a flawed stint and plaque from her femoral artery. I was amazed at the meticulous work of each person.


I guess this wasn’t such a slow week after all. I can’t wait to travel again though, Amsterdam next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment