Thursday, May 12, 2016

Better Late Than Never: Mother of Dragons

The Paris excursion started off kind of slow, but it ended up being one of the more fun trips I made throughout the semester. But first: Beaune. Hôtel-Dieu de Beaune was a strange, yet fascinating mix of medicine and Catholicism. I have so much respect for the nuns who at one time risked their own health, and really their own lives, to care for the infirm there. My favorite room by far was the pharmacy (or as I insist on calling it, the apothecary), which looked like something out of a movie set.

When we got to Paris, the first thing we did was eat. Food is often the way to a person's heart, and I was no exception. A couple galettes later and I was in love with Paris. And macarons! I'd seen them before but never had one. I just always assumed they weren't gluten-free. Of course, I was so happy to find out they were!

The next day, we were scheduled to go on the city bike tour. To say I was nervous about riding a bike is putting it lightly. Before then, I hadn't ridden a bike in probably 13 years or so. So yeah, I wasn't exactly looking forward to suddenly riding one for 2+ hours around a busy city, filled with drivers and pedestrians and other bicyclists all trying to get to wherever they were going. Nevertheless, the time had come and I was at the bike rental shop, waiting in line to receive my death trap. The Parisian was readying my bike when I noticed the label on the handlebars: "Mother of Dragons". My heart skipped a beat. It was a reference to one of my favorite characters in my favorite show, Game of Thrones!

I turned to the Parisian and asked, "What is that sticker there for?"


"That's the name of your bike," he smiled. Then I smiled. The anxiety of riding a bike through a bustling city was suddenly far from my mind. Much of the next two hours on that bike was spent wobblingly trying to avoid falling and/or hitting people, but it made no difference to me--I was busy channeling Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment