Sunday, May 8, 2016

Not Goodbye, Just Until Next Time

Since I have just left Interlaken, I have decided that I will blog one more time to relate my trip to the blog and to reflect on the amazing time that I have had here. Interlaken is easily the most beautiful place that I have ever been to in my entire life, and I wish that everyone would have gotten the opportunity to travel here. The water is just as blue as the sky, the mountains still have snow on them, and there are so many trails and waterfalls to hike to that you could travel here for seve3ral weeks and not see everything. I will definitely be coming back here one day, and I hope that I can share this wonderful place with my loved ones and some of my best friends. This is certainly not one of the last times that I will see Interlaken in my lifetime.
                                                                       
Shelby, Gunnar, and I took a night train to Interlaken, and upon waking up from a nap on the train, I woke up to the most beautiful view of my entire life. The mountains, snow, water, and small little towns lining the lakes were all so much to take in, and upon arriving in Interlaken, we took an hour just staring at the landscape with wonder and awe. We then went to our hostel, which was right on the lake, and enjoyed a wonderful afternoon of hiking and relaxing by the lake. While Gunnar went into town to get some of his friends that would be traveling with us, Shelby and I found a trail right next to our hostel and went exploring, enjoying the walk by the lake and even did some off trail hiking to really explore our surroundings. After meeting our new friends, we all took a 3 hour hike to a beautiful waterfall and enjoyed talking and making new friends. We also had an awesome dinner in the city, and we went to bed early to prepare for our next day. When we woke up the next day, we rented mountain bikes and went biking through trails to a place called Lauterbrussen, which is also known as the place of 72 Waterfalls. It was easily the most beautiful bike ride I have ever been on in my life, and I was taken back by the number of beautiful views that just kept coming around each turn. The weather only made the trip even better. It was 70 degrees with a slight cool breeze, and for the first time since I have been in Europe (besides the Bonn Marathon) I was able to enjoy walking around in shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt. I even managed to get sunburned. After our amazing bike ride, we went kayaking on the lake right next to our hostel, and we paddled all the way out to an island in the middle of the lake and floated just outside the island, relaxing in the sun and enjoying the scenery and good company. We cooked an awesome spaghetti dinner and had to say goodbye to Shelby, but it was another amazing day.

The following day, we got up and went to Welder, which was just outside of Lauterbrussen and gave us a view of each of the waterfalls as we made our way up the mountain. When we arrived, we were greeted by the view of Jungfrau, a very snowy and beautiful mountain that was called the “top of Europe”. We decided to go hiking to a snowy part of the mountain, and after a couple of hours, we got to enjoy a picnic amongst the snow in a mountain overlooking an amazing pasture with waterfalls surrounding us in every direction. I felt like I was literally in Heaven, and I never wanted to leave. We then went home and cooked dinner, and we all ate right next to the water and watched the sunset and really took the time to get to know each other better. The trip was an amazing one, and I am so thankful that I stayed to get to experience the most beautiful place that I have ever seen in my entire life. There is so much to do in Interlaken, and had I had more time and money, I would have enjoyed sky diving, canyoning, bungee jumping, and paragliding among other things (but that’s okay because we are all booking a paragliding trip in Innsbruck now).

In exactly one week, my friend from home will also be arriving in Europe to travel with me. We will go to Munich to see Dachau and then travel through Italy (Florence, Rome, and Sorento) and end in Barcelona, where we will meet Shelby, before we head home from Frankfurt after staying the night at my host family’s house one more time. I still have plenty of time to enjoy Europe, and I am going to take every opportunity that I can to make sure that I enjoy it. This trip has been the most amazing thing that I have ever done, and I can’t wait to go back home to share my experiences with others (assuming they won’t get tired of me talking to them).


Finally, I will wrap up my blog entries with what I can’t wait to see and do when I get home. First, and most importantly, I cannot wait to see my family and tell them about everything that I have experienced and share pictures and memories with them. I especially can’t wait to see my brothers again and get to hang out with them, for they are my best friends in the whole world, and I have missed them dearly. I plan on eating dinner at a Tex-Mex restaurant, for I have really missed it, and I plan on drinking as many free refills as my heart desires. I cannot wait to see all of my friends again and pet my dog. I want to be able to drive my car again and not worry about having to catch public transportation (I hate not being in control of when I can leave). Most of all, however, I cannot wait to be back home, my real home, where all of my family and friends are waiting for me. This has been a great trip, and the best experience of my life, and I have no regrets coming on this trip. At the end of the day, though, there is no place like home, and I belong in Texas with my family and friends. I will come back to Europe one day, hopefully with Gunnar and other people that I really care about, and I cannot wait for that day. I love reminiscing on all of the good times that we had, and I really can’t thank everyone enough for making this experience so grand. I really suggest that everyone should study abroad, even if it is only for a couple of weeks, for it really is life changing, and it is so beneficial to helping you learn more about yourself and the world around you. It has taught me to be more adaptable, and I have learned so much about myself and life in general that studying at home cannot teach you. For the last time from Europe, I bid you goodbye, and I hope that everyone has enjoyed this trip as much as I have. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment