Friday, May 13, 2016

Weeks 8 & 9

These two weeks were spent preparing and presenting our ideas, in our 8 groups of 3, to enmodes at the mid-term meeting. After this, the ideas were narrowed down and the teams were consolidated into 4 larger groups. We also had our German language final. It was just basic vocabulary (food, family members, etc.) and answering simple questions (what’s your name, where are you from, how old are you, etc.), so it wasn’t bad at all!

All the AIB students also went to soccer game in Leverkusen. Not gonna lie, I don’t really watch sports ever so I didn’t really pay attention most of the game but it was still fun. I also went to Dr. Wasser’s guest lecture on physiology in visualization for the viz students this week. It was really interesting and his lecture made me realize how important it is to have some knowledge of physiology to create realistic and believable animations! 

I also went to Copenhagen this weekend with Ashleigh! The architecture there was really different from Bonn’s, quite dark and simple, but still beautiful. It was also cloudy/raining the entire time we were there, so a lot of time was spent in museums. First we went to the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, which is an art museum known for its ancient sculpture collection. My favorite room was one that had walls painted deep, bright blue and an intricately carved, white ceiling with gold details. The room was filled with gorgeous statues and I wish I had time to sit there and sketch them all! I also spent a lot of time in the French Collection part of the museum, which had amazing works by Degas, Van Gogh, and Cezanne. We also visited the David Collection, which had an extensive collection of Islamic art as well as European art. There were silverware, porcelain, tapestries, daggers, and more, all of which were centuries old! I left this museum early though to make it to the Statens Museum for Kunst (National Gallery of Denmark) before it closed. This museum was huge and I only had an hour in there, so I spent it in the (surprise, surprise) French impressionism section! After that, Ashleigh and I made our way to Rosenborg Castle, a 17th-century castle built by Christian IV as a casual summer palace. We also made it to the Little Mermaid statue just in time before it got dark. The statue was beautiful but a lot smaller than I imagined it would be. As expected, it was surrounded by a lot of tourists taking selfies. The next day, we walked through Nyhavn, the district with all those colorful houses along the canal you see in Copenhagen postcards, and it was lovely. Oh! And smørrebrød! It’s this delicious open sandwich thing topped with different things and this was basically all we ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment