Monday, May 9, 2016

Rheinbach

I'm not 100% sure whether or not I have already written about this but I am going to go for it anyways. I think it was March 25th or the 23rd, although those dates kind of sound like they're during spring break, but right now i would say I am too lazy to google whether they are or not. However, on March 23rd (or 25th) I had gone out with friends and we had a good time at the Quietman, or whichever bar we had gone to that night. I was on my way home and I had gotten on the last train back to Alfter-Witterschlick from Bonn Hbf. When I got on I thought i may as well take a quick nap, I had about 20 minutes to work with anyways. I was quickly startled by a train attendant saying that he will let me go this time. Then it hit me that I need to check which stop I was at. It turns out that I am 3 stops past mine, which is a 15 minute train ride and an hour walk. So, I was feeling pretty helpless. Fortunately, some saint of a man named Rheinmar (I think) came up to me and said, "you miss your train?" 
"yup"
"you American?"
"yup"
"Follow me, we get a beer!"
"haha okay!"

The train stopped at Rheinbach something and I followed Rheinmar off the train and under a bridge, through a park, past some homeless, and down a long road. We finally stopped at a bar, walked inside and was greeted by a crowd of middle age adults that all seemed to know Rheinmar (also a dude in his 50s) which was cool. I was just worried they may not speak good english, but that turned out to be no problem. HOWEVER, the bar was blasting music that my brother and I used to listen to when we were kids, which consisted of heavy metal and new age rock. That was freaking surprising. I liked the music, but it was the last place I expected to hear it. Anyways, after talking to Rheinmars friends, neighbor's son and his wife, along with the bartender, Rheinmar ordered me a cab and I was off on my way home.

That was in fact one of the more odd nights that I had in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment