Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Tschüss für heute...

Last Blog

So here it is…my last blog for study abroad. I’m currently looking through pictures on our google photo drive “You can never be down when Europe.”

It’s crazy to see how many places we traveled to, all the things we saw and tried for the first time, all the memories we made, and all the friendships we gained along the way.

What’s even crazier to me is that I applied for this program on the last day applications were due. I was always interested in studying abroad, but I never thought I would actually do it. When I first heard about this program, I thought “wow that sounds incredible, I wish I could go.” And that wish just remained a wish until about a week before applications were due. And then I thought, “Why should that wish just be a wish? Why don’t I actually go?” So then I spent a few days convincing my parents that the price would be worth it (it totally was), and then I applied. And now here I am, sitting in bed at my grandparents reminiscing about the semester.

These past four months have been one hell of a ride. I already miss living in Bonn, and it’s only been about a week since I’ve left.

There are many things I will miss, probably too many for me to name in one blog, but here are a few…

I will miss my host mom. She is so kind. From the beginning, she was nothing but nice. If I had a long night of studying, she would bring up a bowl of ice cream. She was always ready to hear about my day when I came home from school. She made the BEST weekend breakfasts. I hope I can visit her again one day.

I will also miss AIB. AIB became a second home to me, as I spent most of my days there. I’ll miss coffee runs in between classes, ping pong games, and ultimate frisbee games in the courtyard. The coordinators and student workers were so helpful and caring, and I’ll miss them too.  

I’ll miss the food. I developed an addiction to pretzels towards the end of my stay in Bonn. I’ll need to find a replacement in College Station. I’ll miss the good beer. Living in Germany actually made me like beer, which I never thought would happen. Bratwurst, goulash, schnitzel, berliners, boninis, etc, etc. I’ll miss it all.

I’ll miss Bonn itself. I loved walking through the city… walking by the church with two heads in front, the giant Haribo store, the Beethoven statue, Hauptbanhof, Rathaus, Hofgarten, etc. I’ll also miss the Rhine. Walking along the river was always very calming.

But above all, I’ll miss the memories I made. There are too many to share. Some can be read in previous blogs, and some I’ll just keep as memories.

Overall, I think I’ve become a more independent, cultured, and spontaneous person because of this trip. I’m grateful for all that Germany has shown me. Here’s to the best semester of my college experience.

Danke für alles, Bonn. Ich werde dich sehr vermissen. Bis bald, hoffentlich.


Tschüss für heute...

No comments:

Post a Comment