Monday, May 9, 2016

Mom Makes Party all 3 Days

Hallo leute, 

As you may know, Germans know how to have a good time. A really good time actually. My hostmum celebrated her 50th birthday the weekend of April 2nd. My family rented out a local bar in Bad Godesberg for Saturday night. They invited several of their family and friends to celebrate all night. And when I say all night long, I mean ALL NIGHT LONG. I actually beat my hostmum home.

But for my family, we didn't celebrate on Saturday alone. Our celebrations begin Thursday night when one of their past host students surprised my mom for her birthday weekend. (Sorry, I often refer to my hostmum as mom. It's going to be extremely hard for me to say goodbye.) It was awesome! I'm so glad I got to meet here and I can see why my family adores her so much. She is so sweet. She brought gifts for everyone, and even shared the edible/drinkable gifts with me. 

Anyways, my German family really knows how to kick it up a notch. I must say, that that weekend had to have been one of my favorite weekends here in Germany. I know I didn't travel Europe as much as many of my peers did, but I think it's because I almost felt encouraged by my family to stay home since they invited me to do almost everything with them. And in all honesty, I don't regret it one bit. I'm so surprised I got this close with my family, but that's an experience traveling can't beat. 
Although spending a Saturday night out at a bar with my family doesn't seem like such a spectacular event, it's one I'll remember for the rest of my life. We threw it back to Karneval and danced until we couldn't anymore. My dad played the guitar and my host bro played the drums. Did I mention my family is also super talented? I also met many more of my sibling's friends and drank beer with all of them. I got to know Kiki, one of my family's former students, and I can definitely see why she makes time to come back and visit this loving and ever-so considerate family. BUT best of all for mom's birthday celebrations was the PEACH!!! Supposedly it's a shot that contains alcohol but I'm convinced there isn't any in there. The bartender told me it's a "secret" recipe. I have a hunch it's a wicked combination of candy, peaches, and magic. ES IST SUPER GEIL!! 

OK - so that's the gist of the party. It was awesome. I love my family. I love Germany. I love PEACH!! 


But, to clear why my title is titled what it is... During Karneval, I took advantage of every outing opportunity there was or that I was invited to. On Monday night, I'll admit it, I was still hungover. "Shelby? Hast du kater?" "Ja, Papa ein bisschen..." My hostmum came in the kitchen and said "Wow Shelby, you make party all 4 days." So hence the title, right back atcha mom, "Mom makes party all 3 days." :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment