Monday, May 16, 2016

#17 Colmar & Sélestat & Macaques

So on it goes~

I returned to Colmar in a fit of excitement, while also anticipating disaster. Writing postcards to my family on the train journey I realized how impossibly impossible that is to do in real life. Jolt, jiggle, jolt. The movies and the books have lied! Several cross-outs later though I did manage to get through a few & enjoyed looking at the scenery out the window (beautiful mountains & quaint towns).

After arriving in Colmar Station I hopped right on another train to Sélestat, and then on a bus to ascend a mountain. Sound like quite the adventurer there. The views as we climbed upward were absolutely incredible. It seemed that a thousand villages lay below us, all rendered in miniature. Little church spires here and there, little bakeries, little schools. It’s strange, but if aliens came to our planet I think they would only be able to think we were adorable (and barbaric… and technologically illiterate). Thus begins humanity’s descent to being teacup poodles, I guess.

I stumbled upon Château du Haut-Kœnigsbourg almost by accident, and wandering through the gates discovered I’d seen it before in an old film I’d seen in French film class (La Grande Illusion—highly recommend it by the way). It was strange seeing the famous staircase from the film, but the place was so incredible! It had been ruin that was reconstructed in pain staking detail during the 1800s. The architects sifted through hundreds of documents, researching the tiniest things, to reconstruct the chateau as accurately as possible. The end result is, well, amazing. And nothing can beat the views from its many windows. I snapped picture after picture, & then ate lunch overlooking the valley below (and wrote more postcards). Incredible.

On the way down the mountain I stopped off by a nature reserve dedicated to Macaques, which was definitely the cutest experience of my study abroad. They’re such incredible creatures, seeing them prance here and there, seeing them quibble over tree branches (and try and push one another in the water) was such an oddly humbling experience. They’re such elegant creatures, really.

After touring Sélestat I headed back to Colmar, where I wandered for ages and ages. It’s such a beautiful town, It’s impossible not to be completely blown away by every little thing. Unfortunately, my phone died. So no photos (again)! I guess that just means I’ll have to go back a third time (& I honestly can’t wait).

Bye for now! Ashleigh


PS: school! So I’m running out of things to say on this note. Hm. We gave presentations in pharmacology, and mine was over Oncolytic Viruses (which are amazingly cool). It’s kind of uncanny because I just saw a documentary back here in Texas about them, apparently Poliovirus is being used to treat brain tumors and has been accelerated through Phase I trials. Pretty exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment