Sunday, April 30, 2017

Week 9 Spring Break!

Although I was very sad to leave Paris, I was super excited for spring break because my best friend and her family would be spending it with me! As soon as I got back to Bonn on Friday night I had to catch an early morning train to Frankfurt Airport to meet my second family. From Frankfurt we were supposed to catch a train to Basel, Switzerland but my friend's parents didn't realize that Frankfurt hbf was different from where we were... Unfortunately we had to buy brand new tickets to Basel where we rented a car and drove to Grindelwald! Oh my gosh that was the most beautiful place I have ever seen... We had a cute little wood cabin/home that we stayed in. The mountains were amazing. That night we walked around the town and had dinner and then just went to bed. The next morning we went to the very top of First (pronounced Fearst, we got laughed at saying First🙂) Mountain by a cable car. At the very top there was what was called a sky walk where you walked along the side of a mountain and eventually led to a clear piece at the end that made you feel like you were levatating. Even though there was lots of snow it was so freaking hot at the top of the mountain it felt as if the sun was 5 feet away from me. This was probably my favorite small town of the trip. I want to go back and hopefully ski along all of those mountains.
We didn't stay in Switzerland very long, although I wish we did. That night we drove back to Basel and stayed the night there so that we could drive to Bruges early the next morning. Bruges was also a very cute town. I bought tons of chocolate, tried the best waffles and fries I've ever had, and got a tour of the city in a horse carriage. Our AirBnb was a little outside of Bruges in this perfect little farm area along a river. That first day in Bruges we didn't stay in town long because we were very tired but the AirBnb was so great we didn't mind staying in. The next morning we spent more time in Bruges and then drove to Brussels to stay another night. Early Wednesday morning just my best friend and I got a flight to Krakow, Poland. Poland was so awesome! Everything was so cheap! We stayed in the very center of town which was a great area! Polish food is super good! I would 10/10 recommend Poland for sure!
The main reason we went to Poland was to visit Auschwitz. This was one of the hardest experiences I've ever had. I have always been very interested in World War II so I felt that I should go. I never understood how bad the living conditions were until I went and saw it for myself. The beds were wooden boards that could only probably fit 4 people slept 12. They would starve people to run experiments. They had horrible pictures hanging on the walls of children that hurt me like you wouldn't believe. I learned a lot from going there which I am surprised by because I already knew a fair amount. This was a different kind of life changing experience. I'm so blessed to not have endured first hand a world of war but it also makes me think of the other countries out there that are still experiencing terror. Auschwitz was a terrible terrible place but I am so glad I went.
My spring break ended there and I came back to Bonn Saturday morning which was really nice because I had time to recover and rest. My spring break was very very great but I was very pleased when I came back to my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment