Monday, April 3, 2017

Running on fumes- Week 11

Where to begin with this week. This week I got to experience things that I honestly did not think I would for  a long time. On Tuesday we were able to go to the hospital here in Bonn to shadow doctors. I had the opportunity to shadow an anesthesiologist who was working in the cardiac operating rooms. The first surgery I got to see was on a patients myocardial sac. I however could not see a lot of this procedure since the opening made was so small and at a different angle from where I was standing. The second surgery I was able to see was a bypass. This was incredible! I got to see the surgeon actually saw the patients chest open and put the spreader in to open the chest up. The coolest part however was being able to see the heart. I never thought I would be able to see someone heart beat in there chest like that until I was medical school. The one part of the surgery that made me nervous was the doctor did not clamp the artery in time and blood was squirting all around the room. Although I could not tell what the doctors were saying in german, but  you could see that something was obviously not right. Later the doctor apologized to me for the situation, but said he was proud of me for not getting sick or freaking out. The rest of the week was spent studying for our physiology exam.On Friday we got to attend the Aneasthesia Museum in Bonn. This was an awesome experience and the collection was incredible. I was amazed by how much this museum had. It was also so awesome that the owner of the museum was the one who led the tour. On Sunday I participated in the Bonn marathon. I was on a relay team, which my leg was 7 miles. If I learned one lesson it would be that I probably should have ran ahead of the time. I was honestly so proud of myself for running my entire leg without stopping. My body however is pretty much hating me for this decision. On Sunday night my host family had a barbecue at the house with all the neighbors. I really felt like I was back in Texas for the night. It was the perfect end to another amazing week in Bonn. Can not believe that in 30 short days we will be saying our goodbyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment