Monday, April 10, 2017

Week 11

This week was relatively easy going, I had a couple of things to do that were time sensitive and actually mattered, but eeehhhhh. It got done! Now to the exciting part, nevermind the boring school stuff haha.......

Doctor Hammon's first day on the job!

My favorite part of the week is when we were able to go to Uniklinikum, I actually got to help with surgeries today, so you can just call me Dr. Hammons! It was so very exciting, I even called my mother on Facetime and brought tears to her eyes when she seen me in those scrubs!


Being in the OR was a relatively hands-on experience for me, I was able to handle the epidural, the catheters, and handle the blood pressure and heart regulator machines (The electrocardiogram, and the sphygmomanometer, see Dr. Wasser, I pay attention). All of the surgeries I watched were internal medicine, which was actually more exciting than I anticipated it to be! I watched a surgeon create a new pancreatic duct, as well as remove the ileum, and sew the duodenum together after removing a tumor.

I am grateful that I saw it when I did, it taught me that there is more to medicine and other specialties than you may realize. Personally, my biggest interest is in pediatrics, obstetrics, and emergency medicine, Those are my top three fields, I have a bit more experience in obstetrics than I should, so I have seen both the beauty and the ugly first hand. Also, I have a huge family so I have experience with kids, and I love the rush of emergency medicine!

If all could go my way I would be a Pediatric Emergency Medicine doctor, but they get burnt out relatively quick so I have heard. Who knows what the future will bring, who knows, I sure don't! We will just have to see, but tune in after about 4 years, for the next few adventures of Dr. Hammons, it'll be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment