Monday, April 10, 2017

Week 10: Return to Bonn & The Big Event

In Texas, spring time means more than just a week off from classes. It means getting together to help the community that has generously welcomed and tolerated us. This year was particularly special because we gathered AIB students from each of the schools to volunteer in order to hold our own International Big Event in Bonn.

We were divided into a few groups to take on different tasks such as gardening, cleaning, and working in a warehouse. I was fortunate enough to be apart of the warehouse group.
The Sachspenden Bonn project began rather recently in first opening it's doors in 2016. The central warehouse takes various clothing donations to help support refugees and those in need.  


At the warehouse about twenty-five students and student worker were all given specific tasks to complete to help improve the overall efficiency of the charity centre. Most of them included separating useful items, arranging clothing by size or gender, or just helping out where necessary. Every one of the regular volunteers were incredibly friendly and grateful to have us working along side them. The entire day was filled with smiles and warmth.
Taking into consideration the increasing number of people that are displaced from their homes due to war or unfavorable living conditions, being a part of this particular assignment was much more fulfilling than many of the other activities we've done thus far.

At the end of the week my host mom invited me to 'Kuchen und Kaffee' with all of her family and friends. I met her daughter's husband and three children, her son and his wife, the wife's mother, father, and brother, my host dad's nephew, a few of the friends, and some other people I wasn't properly introduced to. Needless to say the entire gathering was in German, yet I understood mostly everything that was directed at me. When I had sufficiently stuffed myself with cake, I played UNO with the three other children because they spoke closer to my comprehension level. and I whooped their butts.






No comments:

Post a Comment