Friday, April 7, 2017

Uniklinik & Bon Marathon- Week 11


Uniklinik
This week was one of my all-time favorite weeks because we got to see surgeons perform on patients 
at the hospital. I got lucky with my surgery because I got to see a tumor removal surgery. The patient had laryngeal cancer and it was so bad that they had to remove a piece of his larynx and transplant some of the muscle from the patient’s arm into his neck. So I basically got to see two surgeries at once, which was very cool and gross all at the same time. 

The tumor in his neck was pretty huge and his cancer spread more than the surgeons realized. But seeing someone’s throat wide open and seeing the bones and muscles inside of an arm is an image I probably won’t ever forget. The surgery was eight hours long, but I was able to see over half of it and the doctor said he would most likely survive the surgery.

                              Bonn Marathon
I ran in the Bonn Marathon... I must say, considering that I didn't practice or train or was in shape to run a 10K... I still did pretty bad BUT I made it to the finish line and that's all that matters. AIB raised over $1,000 for the children of Sudan, which is really cool and makes running/dying totally worth it in the end. It was so cool seeing all the of the people of Bonn cheering you on as you ran pass them. When you are on the verge of death, seeing a two-year old say "Go!!!!" gives you an unexplainable boost to keep going. My favorite part about the Bonn Marathon was after you finished they gave you free food and drinks. 






No comments:

Post a Comment