Sunday, April 30, 2017

Week 8: France and its Star Paris

   A good chunk of the first two days of our excursion was spent on a bus. It was really cool to see the country side for once. In Colmar we say the Insheim Altar which was very beautiful. It was neat to see so much imagery and symbolism hidden into every inch of the altar. The town was very beautiful as well. It was a cool fusion of German and French architecture. It made me feel like I was in a fairy tale. Next we went to Beaune. We had a very delicious meal at this quaint restaurant. I loved all the food and wine that was served. I was sad to see that my table mates did not like vegetables, wine, or almost anything else that was served. Here we are eating excellent cuisine you can't find anywhere else in the world and your disgust with vegetables takes that experience away from you. I also had way too much wine because no one else my table was drinking any. I did manage to pass the bottle off to another table. The next morning we saw the beautiful Hotel Dieu, The oldest running hospital in Europe. It was this absolutely stunning place. Words can't describe how cool this place was. The tour guide was amazing at telling the history and stories of this place. I found it very enchanting.
  We finally got to Paris. I was so absolutely excited to be there. We met Julian who was to be our tour guide for the week. We went to this really great Crepe Restaurant. I found my new favorite combo, lemon and sugar.  The next day we had a lot of fun riding bikes around the city. It was such a neat way to see some of the sites. There were a lot of people crashing their bikes but luckily no one was seriously hurt. We went to Notre Dam which was magnificent. After that we went to the Surgery Museum, which, has some really cool instruments. When we were finished with the tour we had time to go wander the city. I was super excited to go try following the walking path of things to do that Carleton had made me. Sadly a number of the things that were on the map were closed. Kyle, Amran, Clare, and I did find this absolutely incredible place to go eat Macrons. We also found the Jardin Luxembourg. It was very nice even in the drizzle.
   I had a lot of fun hanging out with everyone and making memories. There are so many gems in Paris to see, there was no way to see all of it. Julian took us to go see Monmart which is the artist district of Paris. It was really pretty and held a lot of memories and inspiration for famous artists. It also gave some great views of Paris. Another cool way to get good views of Paris is from the top of the Eiffel tower. I was really impressed with myself because I made it to the top, and didn't have a complete mental breakdown. I am sad that I did not spend more time exploring the local atmosphere and eat and drink like a local. I feel like that would have really added to my experience. I absolutely loved the picnic we had on the last day. There was so much good cheese, bread, and ham. I adored the truffled brie. I still think about now. Paris has so much beauty and history its almost surreal that it is a real place that I could visit.





No comments:

Post a Comment