Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Week 11

This week has honestly been one of the best weeks here. Three major things all of which were incredible and super rewarding. First off, on Wednesday I shadowed an anesthesiologist at the Uniklinik for a day. While I was super nervous going in, I quickly learned there was no reason to be. It started off by changing into scrubs and putting on a hairnet and mask. We then got put into individual OR's where we met our anesthesiologists. Mine was Gustav and he was so cool. We were watching a liposuction and he showed me everything he does. After a little while, the surgical procedure became very monotonous so instead of continuing to watch it, he began quizzing me about physiological principles and the reasons he did the things that he did. It was so cool and I loved how it was interactive and really made me think. It was basically just like real life Grey's Anatomy. After that surgery ended, we immediately started the next one. The patient had previously had a mastectomy and had gotten breast implants. One of her implants had become infected so the procedure was to remove the implant and replace it with a new one. The surgery was so cool to see and Gustav continuously asked questions during this as well. I had to leave before I could watch another one but this experience just solidified me wanting to go to medical school and was so fulfilling in that regard.

Saturday came around and I was up bright and early to go to Bruges. With some minor problems at the start of the trip, I finally got on the train and was headed that way. Bruges was honestly so beautiful. Between old buildings, cathedrals, canals, and windmills the city was absolutely beautiful. A lot of unique and very colorful architecture along with a giant city square full of things to see. I bought the best but also most expensive waffle I've ever eaten. Pro tip: Lizzie's waffles is the best place to go, but the waffles are shareable so don't buy one individually. We spent a lot of time at the beautiful windmills just taking in the scenery along with walking around a big park. Overall it was just a beautiful day and a gorgeous city, definitely one of my favorite places I've visited.

This week ended with the weirdly good and bad day. That is because I ran 6.1 miles. While the Bonn marathon was a really cool event, I actually did not enjoy doing this. At the beginning I was so hyped and ready to run. The atmosphere was amazing with people cheering and music playing and a huge celebration happening. A little ways after the bridge, I regretted everything. I couldn't breath, my legs were on fire, and I thought I was gonna collapse at any moment. Flash forward a little while later and I had managed to finish my leg of the relay but very slowly and with a lot of walking. Overall, thinking about it, I don't regret doing it, I more regret not ever running before doing it. I was unable to walk for about 3 days but then a full recovery was made and it all turned out okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment