Sunday, April 30, 2017

Week 11: Bonn Marathon

This week we went to visit in the Uniklinik, the hospital in Bonn. We got to shadow surgeons for the day. I shadowed two different surgeons, an ENT and a orthopedic surgeon. In the ENT surgery I saw a tracheotomy, inserting a tube for breathing into a person's trachea. The next surgery was a knee replacement surgery. This was my favorite surgery I saw. I watched the doctors open up the leg, saw off parts of the bone and drill the replacement into place. It was pretty incredible.


This weekend we also took a day trip to Bruges, Belgium. We got there early in the morning and walked around the town. We got the most amazing Belgian waffles I've ever had at a restaurant called Lizzie's waffles. We had looked up the restaurant and saw that it was supposed to be the best waffle restaurant in Bruges. So we all ordered our own waffles, and then realized these waffles were about the size of a laptop. Mine came with two whole bananas to go on top. It then became a contest of who could eat the most of their waffle. Unfortunately I couldn't finish mine  but it was still the best waffle I've ever had. We also walked down the canals in the city and went to see the old windmills. Belgium is also known for their fries. They eat them with mayonnaise which is different than in the States but surprisingly good.








Later that weekend we all participated in the Bonn Marathon. I ran on a relay team in the marathon and ran 6 miles with two of my other friends. I wouldn't really consider myself a runner, so running the marathon definitely wasn't easy. We had to take several walking breaks to catch our breath. But I was super proud of us for finishing in about an hour and a half. It was a really good experience and I'm glad I did it, but I also plan on never doing it again. Afterwards I was sore for almost a whole week. When I got home that day I was tired I couldn't even make it to the shower first, I went straight to bed to take a nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment