Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Weekend to Remember


Despite Karneval continuing over this weekend, I have not attended any more Karneval related events, and my host family is content to do the same. However, yesterday, I traveled by foot to the nearby town of Remagen, which entailed traveling through Rolandswerth and Oberwinter. I ran as far as I could while on my journey, but it was too far for me to run continuously. On the part of the Rhein near Rolandswerth is the island of Nonnenwerth. Nonnenwerth is about 1 kilometer long and features a large building that looks like a mansion that I noticed while running by. Aside from swimming, the only way onto the island is by boat. By the way, I noticed more than a few man-sized chunks of ice floating down the Rhein. Oberwinter features a small bay with a fair number of boats moored there, which can be seen in the picture. I otherwise did not see anything of interest in Rolandswerth or Oberwinter.

As I learned from a sign posted on the path to Remagen, the town features a Roman Museum, which I may check out later. By the time I had reached Remagen, night was fast approaching, and I did not want to walk back to Bad-Godesberg. After a short break for some hot chocolate, I found the Remagen Hauptbahnhof and took a train home.

No comments:

Post a Comment