Sunday, February 26, 2012

Exploring Wien

Vienna was awesome. As it got closer to Saturday I found myself wishing more often that I could just stay there. When we landed back in Cologne yesterday night it felt nice to be back. Hopefully
I can learn how to properly speak German and then return to Vienna for a little bit longer. Waking up on Wednesday at 4 wasn't fun and made the rest of the day tiring. When we got to the Deutschmeister the breakfast they offered tasted so good. Eggs, bread, jam, and juice were a part of my everyday meal. After words the stroll around the city was super interesting. A lot of the buildings looked similar but they were all beautifully designed. Vienna is such a cultural center. It was the home of so many famous musicians, composers, doctors, inventors. Imagine how amazing it would have been 200 years ago while all these people were still alive. We stopped at a cafe for lunch and all the pastries they served looked so appetizing but expensive. For something that looked like a small Berliner it was about 2€ where here it would be 50 cents. The pricey food was just about the only thing I didn't like.
The outside design of St. Stefan's Cathedral reminded me of Dom in Cologne. I've never seen
leaves before on a building but the only 2 cathedrals I've been to on this trip both had them. Maybe it was a common style? When we walked down into the catacombs I was expecting something out of an Edgar Allen Poe story with skeletons on both sides in old looking tombs covered in dust. Even the oldest coffin there from the 1600s looked like it could have been from 50 years ago. However they could have been preserving and restoring all these things which I didn't even think about. Walking deeper into the church it was weird to find out that the Viennese people put the organs in jars similar to the Egyptians. Just as I thought the catacombs were done we walked even more to a cold, dark part of the cathedral. Here there were actual bones laying around behind the walls like someone just threw them in to get them out of the way. The room full of plague victims and the room right after that with the bones neatly organized was so neat. The plague victims bones must have been over half a century and just now it's weird to think that all those bones used to be walking around just as we were, talking
and laughing and in half a century we'll be just like those bones.
After the tour at the cathedral we went shopping for clothes for the Vienna Symphony orchestra on Thursday. I found a dress that Andrea and Candy helped me pick out at H&M but we left for dinner before I could find shoes. Dinner at the goulash museum was so good. The giant dumpling tasted like dough on its own but when it was eaten with the meat it was so delicious and filling. All of the food in Vienna was appetizing and it will be missed.
On Thursday we went to the hospital which looked like it could have been a mall to listen to a lecture on the medical school in Vienna. After Professor März gave his lecture I'm seriously considering looking for schools in Europe. Even if it would be easier to just stay and work within the EU I'm not complaining. I would be stoked to be given the chance to work and live here.
When we got to the Narrenturm and our guide gave us the warning to let her know immediately
if we were feeling sick or something I got kind of worried. After walking into the lung room it was a bit easier to understand how people with soft stomachs would feel sick. The guide was so interested in what she was presenting it was hard not to be interested as well. A lot of the models looked like it would be painful so fingers crossed I'll never experience it first hand. She kept mentioning the hydrocephaly that was on the
lower floor and with five minutes to go she rushed us through the exhibit just to make sure we would be able to see it. I think the girl died when she was 5 but that was the largest skull I have ever seen and most likely will see. The Josephinum we visited only had us a visitors but it housed anatomical wax models with each room given a specific purpose. It was neat to see the medical devices and the materials that students used to learn but I still think the Narrenturm was the more interesting of the two museums that day.
Also! This is the best drink ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment