Saturday, February 18, 2012

Viva Colonia is Catchy!

 Thank God for technology! If it wasn't for it, I wouldn't be able to keep in contact with my loved ones so often. I know, I know, writing "old-school" letters and sending postcards is cute, but we have to admit it makes things easier. I also realize we've only been here for around a month, but it feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy longer. I thought writing like that would describe my feelings.Oh, and that's a picture of my wonderful app viber which keeps my family and boyfriend one text or call away.


I feel like so many things have happened in the last week. First of all, like everyone else has been saying, Karneval was unbelievable! The costumes, the parade, the candy, the people, the drinking, it was insane. So insane in fact, that us Americans can't handle it. Partying all day? For a week? Yea, something bad is bound to happen. I shouldn't even say all day since Thursday the party ended for some of us around 7. When I got home my host parents were surprised to see me so early. "Can't hang" is probably what they thought.
 

This week we also went to the Deutsches Museum- Kekules Exhibition and had a meeting to discuss the marathon that AIB participates at the end of the semester. The museum for me was like one huge playground. That probably goes for all museums, but this one had a huge benzene structure with a computer on it that would tell you what structure you have formed based on what you added to the ring. Sounds nerdy maybe, but this was so entertaining! I wish I would have gotten one for Christmas back when I was studying for organic chemistry. For the marathon meeting, I noticed how many of us are eager to participate and run our hearts out. I think the majority of our group signed up for either the relay or the half-marathon. I love running, so I have always wanted to run a marathon. I've done other races back home, but not a full marathon so I had to fight the urges to just sign up for it. I didn't because I haven't been running and don't want to be that one girl who signed up and then backed out, or died. Therefore, I'm going to wait and see how I feel with my running.

Today started our training! Yesenia and I took a run over the bridge of the Rhine to this wonderful park with a Japanese Garden. There were many people running or walking with their dogs and the whole time I kept thinking, "my Dad would love this." Being the outdoor running freak that he is I know he would love exploring these parks and trails. Hopefully our training continues and gets better for all of us. I'm sure we will keep everyone updated.

Tschuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment