Sunday, February 19, 2012

Karneval part I: Weiberfastnacht


The symbolic Beuel Militia "Rot-Blau" (red and blue)
My tie...damage done
Thursday was Weiberfastnacht ("Old Women's Day," in the honor of some rebellious tie-cutting washer-women), and marked the beginning of Rheinish Karneval festivities. We met at the AIB at 9:30 to show off our Karneval costumes and to gear up the sexes for our respective duties: men received ties, and women scissors. After a few pictures, we all headed across the bridge to Beuel to attend the parade. It started at 11:11, which appears to be a very important number for Karneval (November 11 marks the start of the Karneval "fifth" season). We all shouted, "Kamelle!" which means "caramels," and was a plea for the parade members to throw candy for us. We were in for a few surprises, because they also threw tissues (a joke that came about when the government asked paraders to throw softer things which had less chance to cause injury), balls that we thought were clown noses (a big Karneval thing), and a couple informational brochures...about what, I don't know. At some point during all this fun, my tie was cut, and I received the accompanying peck on the cheek....to make my Weiberfastnacht experience complete.
Zülpicher Straße, and someone who noticed I was taking a picture
       After the parade ended and the street-sweepers came out, our whole group decided to go up to Cologne, which is where the biggest festivities are during Karneval. Thanks to a few helpful young Germans, we found the stop we needed, got off, and made our way to Zülpicher Straße, where we were greeted by the most crowded street I have ever seen. We stayed around for a while, danced, and went into a few places, but we had had our fill of fun and headed out just as it got dark around 6:30. I guess that's what happens when you start celebrating at 10:30 in the morning! I arrived home, took off my costume, had a quick dinner, and collapsed on my bed--my feet thanked me!

No comments:

Post a Comment