Sunday, February 26, 2012

End of Vienna

Thursday night we were to the Weiner Symphoniker. Starting from the first note they played it was bound to be an amazing performance. They didn't appear to be such a large symphony but all the players had such an amazing sound and played their parts extremely well. In the back there was a double bass player that I kept focusing on mainly during the Tchaikovsky piece. He was so enthusiastic about playing and swayed to the music that I didn't want to look anywhere else. The only time I did look away was to watch the conductor. Hopefully I didn't get the wrong person but I'm 99% sure that this was the guy. At the end of it all he got to play the final note of the night. Despite it being just a single note that was being held out, it sounded beautiful. I am in awe of this person and I'm sure I bothered Candy since I kept talking about him for a while after the concert. I only wish I could have seen him before we left. Oh well. The tickets to enter the concert were so snazzy! Anyways the next day breakfast was great as usual then we went to Weiner Neustadt to listen to a lecture about the school there and get a tour of the area. All of these education lecture seriously make me want to just come over here for higher education. I was looking forward to the Radiological Anthropology lecture and was kinda disappointed it didn't happen but instead we got a lecture about ion beams! I couldn't totally understand all of it but the way that it can be used to treat cancer and be less damaging than current methods was pretty neat. Schnitzel was eaten, we returned to Vienna and had the rest of the day to ourselves.
The group I was with went to the Hundertwasser house. It was such a random building and didn't fit in with the ones next to it. It was colorful, had upside down windows and angled pillars. It was something only an artist could have designed.
The next morning we went to the Sigmund Freud museum! My roommate who happens to be a psychology major told me to take lots of pictures for her. Hopefully the ones I took will be enough. I knew Freud was a little strange but hearing more about his life from Dr. Wasser on Friday and then again yesterday was super interesting. It seems like he was made to do psychoanalysis.
The Natural History museum was so big but so interesting and even before our guide stopped the back of my feet were tired. The dinosaur bones they had the beginning were so amazing!! It seems like they're something you'll always be fascinated by.

No comments:

Post a Comment