Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dusseldorf is a Cool City Up North

This past weekend, eight people from the Biosciences group travelled to Dusseldorf to check out the city that people from Cologne dislike. I think we likened the relationship to the t.u. and Texas A&M rivalry. Aside from being a little smaller than Cologne, I thought that Dusseldorf was a pretty neat city to visit for a little more than 24 hours! We got to Dusseldorf at around 10:30 A.M. on Saturday morning, promptly dropped our bags off at our hostel and left, on the tram, to go see our first art museum in Europe, or at least my first art museum. The museum was overall, pretty nice, nothing special, but it was still a nice experience. The museum had three floors of exhibits, the ground floor being some weird exhibit with artifacts, pictures, and photos from history. I think the main theme of the exhibit was "death of man by man and the seeming of life" because there were a lot of pictures of apocalyptic magnitude. Accompanying the graphic photos were accompanied by strange and eerie poems of lost love, self-hate, self-pity, and occasionally, on a lighter note, hope. This exhibit made us think but we tried to leave ASAP so we wouldn't leave depressed.

We then moved on to the top floor of the museum, where there were many paintings from impressionist, cubist, and surrealist artists, Pablo Picasso included! I loved this floor. The paintings were wild and muy muy interesante y bonita. One Picasso painting caught my eye and kept my focus for quite a while. It was a painting that somehow cubist and the farthest thing from reality, yet it was real in the depth of how Picasso displayed his imagination. At least this is what I thought, I'm no art critic.

Check it:



There was also a cloud room set up by an Argentinean artist that included templates for visitors to cut out their own cubist clouds. The other people in the group had a lot of fun with that, I refrained because crafts like that make me anxious and antsy for some reason. The room  was pretty cool! Here is a picture to take a peek into the cloud room:



Finally, Dusseldorf is world famous for having "The Longest Bar in the World", a street that contains bars and clubs for about a third of a mile. I researched a good restaurant/brewery that is there, but I should've known that it would've been crowded because of Karneval! Anyways, we went and got pizza and then returned to a club on the altstadt and danced the night away until midnight... when I decided to go to the hostel and sleep! And that was the best decision of the trip, because I slept like a baby and woke up a new man.

Alright, I gotta split y'all, bis bald!

No comments:

Post a Comment