Thursday, February 9, 2012

4200 J/kg°C


Back in College Station, when it gets below 60 degrees Fahrenheit, that’s a cold day. It means out comes the jeans (or in old German, Cowboyhose) and jacket. Since our first day in Germany, it has been hovering around 30-40 degrees. After two weeks you start to get used to bundling up and you barely notice the cold. This past week it’s dipped down to 10 degrees or so and I tell you what... that 15 degree change is more of a change than from 80 to 50. It’s like once you cross the freezing point of water, every moderately exposed part of your body wants to follow suit and it's painful.

In the first 2 weeks I went running with my five fingers, base layers, and a light jacket and I was fine other than the cold air in my lungs. Since the temperature drop I’ve only ran once... and because of the cold I decided I could run faster to warm my body up, but this only came back to bite me in the butt because after less a half mile all of the toes on my left foot were numb... and for those of you that know, a numb runner is a dumb runner. I stopped to see if I could get some feeling back to my feet which only made me colder for the hobbling walk/jog back to my house. Never again am I exercising outside if it’s below freezing.

I love walking around to explore new places but in this cold it makes no sense to be outside unless you’re transitioning to another building. After finding out the a local gym, McFit, is only 0.8 miles away from my house, my roommate and I went over to pay them a visit yesterday. It's very cheap compared to rates in the US and it’s a full gym that’s open 24/7. We will be starting our 2 day free trial this afternoon.

In other news, the two daughters of our host family are coming in this Sunday and will be living with us on the top floor, which is cozy enough with just us two. I'm pretty excited to meet them but nervous at the same time. Cameron and I already have plans to cook the family some Texas style burgers for that Sunday night... hopefully the German beef will stand up to our Texas Angus!

No comments:

Post a Comment