Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Freud House!

On Saturday, our last day in Vienna, we spent a good amount of time in the Freud house. This was the house that Freud lived in for most of his working life. Getting a lecture about Sigmund Freud in house own house was pretty radical. On top of that the tour we received later was excellent. That tour guide really knew his stuff. I had a great time looking around at the artifacts which Freud was known for collecting, as well as seeing some of the furniture he owned in its original location. When looking around in the first room, I noticed a type-written manuscript in English. Being that almost nothing we see in museums is in English, I started to read what it said. The paper was titled "Some Comments on Klein and Freud" by Eva Rosenfeld written in 1949. I can't quite put my finger on what about the rest of the paper intrigued me so much, but I simply had to write down at least a portion of what the paper said. In the paper she quotes a German Lexicon on the word 'phantasy'. Here is the definition it gave: "Phantasy: Creative activity of the human spirit, power of imagination, the actual mother of our art as far as art is not a mere imitation of nature but spontaneous impressions which he has gathered. That means no direct and unchanged reproduction, but free re-creation according to rules inherent in the human spirit. Nowhere the freedom of phantasy is so evident as in music, and nowhere are the laws that rule it and prevent degeneration so clear as here. Music has not, as have painting and other kinds of art, prototypes in nature, but psychic experiences of the artist are projected into his creations. therefore music is a pircture of the movements of the sould in its passion." I wouldn't say that I'm gifted in music or the arts, but I definitely appreciate them and their role in my life. This excerpt summed up everything that I loved about being in Vienna. Vienna is known by many as what once was the center of music. As a result, Vienna is still filled with more beauty and art than I've seen since getting to Europe. I can't wait to go back.

This is my thoughtful face :) In Freud's House.

No comments:

Post a Comment