Sunday, February 12, 2012

Switzerland!


This weekend I went to Geneva with my grandparents to visit my cousin. The seven and a half hour train ride was less than desirable but the trip made the train ride worth it. This is the first time I’ve visited Switzerland and I loved it! On Friday night when we got there, it was snowing. I wish Bonn had that much snow! We walked around the city some and had dinner at a French restaurant.

The next day, we visited the Cailler chocolate factory in Broc. We did a short twenty-minute tour of the facilities and then were treated to an all-you-can-eat chocolate bar. The chocolates were so good that I couldn’t help but try a piece at each station :). I also bought a few bars to bring back with me to Bonn.

Later on that night, we ate at a typical Swiss fondue restaurant. I had been to a fondue restaurant in Houston but this experience was slightly different. The main course was a cheese fondue that was accompanied by an unlimited amount of French bread. We would break the bread into small pieces, spear them with fondue forks, and dip them into the cheese. Once we had finished, the bottom of the pot (almost like grilled cheese) was scraped up and given to us. I thought this was a little strange at first but when we asked the waiter about it, she said that this was the best part of the fondue, almost like a delicacy.


Now, I am on the train back to Bonn. It’s sad that I couldn’t spend more time in Switzerland to explore Geneva more. I plan on going back in the future so that I can learn more about Switzerland and the Swiss culture. I loved visiting so much and I would definitely recommend it to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment